Hedgehog sitter needed:

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
Hey all. I’m going to Mexico on February 18 (morning), and will be returning on February 28 (evening). My roommate is going to look after my two dogs and four hedgehogs, but does not feel comfortable giving my hedgehog medication twice daily. Chance has an oral infection and requires a small dose of Clavomox (amoxycillan) via mouth. He takes it very nicely and the entire process takes MAYBE 30 seconds. The hardest part is getting him to sit still long enough to feed the needle-less syringe into his mouth.

Is anyone interested in helping out? I live on the Southside of Edmonton (in Terwillegar) and I would need someone to come by in the morning and evening to give Chance his medication. No other care would be required, but you would be more than welcome to visit and play with my animals. The catch? Chance normally gets his medicine at 5am and 5pm, but that could be rearranged as long as there is a 12 hour interval between doses and he has a definite preference for women. He’s a little nervous around men.

Interested? Please let me know. I am willing to compensate for your time.

Thank you!

Um... don't mean to be a spoil-sport here, but I'm a little worried about you leaving Chance when he's sick. Hopefully, you'll find an experienced hedgie-helper in your area. But if not, I'm thinking generating some back-up plans might be in order.

Obviously, one option is "sorry, hedgie is sick; cancel or reschedule your Mexico trip." But am also wondering about leaving Chance in the care of your veterinarian? Or...?

Part of the reason I'm feeling pretty worried here is based in what just happened with Tex. Looked like the sniffles... Baytril should have cleared it up. Very simple, right? Instead, about $1k later, after handling him with gloves, administering meds with droppers and nebulizer, and bleaching everything in sight, he was cleared by the vet.

if you would be willing to have Chance stay at my place for the 10 days you're gone i'd be more than happy to do it. i unfortunately don't drive and am a single parent with a 6 yr old at home, so going over to terwilligar from the north-east corner of millwoods would be difficult.

let me know. i have experience working in vet clinics and have had pets all my life, including bottle feeding baby jackrabbits.

Sherry.

Obviously, one option is "sorry, hedgie is sick; cancel or reschedule your Mexico trip." But am also wondering about leaving Chance in the care of your veterinarian? Or...?

Being so close to the trip, I can't cancel without losing at least 50% of the cost.. and $1500 is a big, BIG loss.

I've already scheduled him to stay at the vet clinic, but I was trying to consider his personal comfort as well. He's calmer in his own environment, with all of his things, and I was trying to see if someone might be willing to give him his medicine at home to spare him any discomfort a kennel environment would give him.

Thanks for the input though.

Back