Heating sources

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Philogirl

As winter approaches, I'd like to investigate some ways to keep the hedgies warm. For the past two winters, I've just been keeping the thermostat up at 78-79 degrees. It's good for me because I like being warm--- and I never minded the extra cost. I was only heating about 700-900 square feet, so my electric bill wasn't that bad. but I recently moved into a much larger apartment and it will cost significantly more to heat 1200 square feet to the high 70s for the next few months.

I would like to be able to just heat their room. I have a ceramic heater bulb... but I'm not really comfortable leaving it on the whole day.

Can anyone suggest good heat sources that are safe to be left on all day while I'm not home?

Out of all the options, CHEs are the safest to leave on all day unattended. I was worried about both heating pads and space heaters being fire hazards, but I've done fine with my CHE, and it definitely keeps the cage area plenty warm.

Depending on the type of cage you have you might be able to use a reptile bottom tank heater.

Also, provide lots of nesting material. I cut up fleece & mine will take those into their huts or bags with them. <3

You don't necessarily want to have the ceramic heat emitter itself on all day. That would probably be too warm for your hedgie. Plug it into a thermostat controller. The thermostat controller will turn it on and off for you quite safely.

Latest posts

Back