Heating Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chelsealynnm

Now I know the importance of keeping my little man warm. However we live in an older house so keeping it warm and not having a large bill is difficult. I have a space heater about 10 feet away from him but is their another way to keep him warm such as a heating pad to place under his cage? Or a heating lamp? He loves his blankets but I want to make sure I'm providing everything I can for him during New York's winter months.

What type of cage do you have? One of the best and inexpensive to operate heating is a ceramic heat emitter. A heat emitter produces heat but no light. An emitter must be used with a thermostat to control the heat output. An emitter also needs a 10" dome Heat emitter approved fixture. It costs about $100 to get the setup but a 100 watt emitter uses the same electricity as a 100 watt light bulb so is considerably cheaper to operate than a space heater.

800443039106C.jpg

This is the cage I have for him.
Well looks like I'll be getting him one! New York winters are so cold the last thing I want is for him to get sick!

I got a heat emitter today for the little boy. I feel much better about the winter months now. Hes got blankys and heat!

Did you get a thermostat that will control the temperature or turn the emitter off if needed. Without a thermostat, heat emitters can get too hot.

Back