Healthy or not? A thread about poops...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EyeSack

Hey guys, I wanted to start a thread about healthy poops vs. unhealthy poops, with pictures as a reference guide.

Here's a picture of Mika's latest creation, although I'm not entirely sure that it's of the healthy nature...? If someone could give some insight, that'd be great. Right after this pic was taken, she made 2 more that looked a bit better; more uniformly brown in color.

IMG_2040.jpg

So, is this anything to be worried about? Please guys, post pics of your hedgehogs' healthy or unhealthy poops too. I couldn't find any info other than descriptive words, but I didn't know how subjective they were.

21 views and nobody can at least tell me if her poop is healthy or not? Other pictures aside, I still could use some help/guidance... :bump:

Consistency wise, they are a little squishy, but nothing to be alarmed about. With mine I often find that these show up after a nice solid stool and the hedgehog is continuing to poop... like when they are a little upset (say from just getting a bath). Or they have eaten something different and their GI is still settling a bit.

Colorwise, fairly normal, however there is a bit of green in the center of the smaller stool. Have you recently tried a new food with her? Often this moss green color means that a food didn't settle well.

Thank you very much guys. I have a feeling, Kal, that it may have been a mealworm pupae(?). I wanted to give her something for being a good girl, but all that was left was what the mealworms turn into after about 2 weeks or so... Next time I'll just buy more mealworms. Thanks again, post pics of bad poops if/when you get a chance!

Isaac

Pupae do contain a lot higher fat content than mealworms, so maybe. I feed pupae every now and then. I try to leave them alone so that they turn into beetles. Which are the stage they contain the lowest amount of fat, and I find that often my hedgehogs are more fond of the beetles. I think its the crunch noise they make with them.

I hope to not have a bad poop to take a picture of any time soon (touch wood). ;)

Haha that's some good info there! I didn't realize that about the mealworms lol. I also hope you don't have any bad poops to take pics of, but if you do, post up so we can see what hedgie poopie isn't supposed to look like. =P

Latest posts

Back