Hay Racks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sierrasmom97

Has anyone tried any of these? Can I get your opinions of them if you have tried them..thanks!!
I was thinking of ordering the $10 one.

I am looking for something like this because my chins like to sit in the containers I am using now and they end up peeing in their hay even though they have separate litter pans...so I am trying to find something that will hold the hay that they can't sit in at the same time.

http://www.bunnybale.com/FeederOrdering.html

I've thought about getting something to put the hay in for my cages, and always come back to the fact that just sticking it in there cage is as easy as anything else. I know I have some monsters here that would have a wooden one chewed up in a matter of days, and others that prob wouldn't bother wood too much.... But either way, I've always thought a hay holder was a good idea. I like the solid metal one they offer, but I would be too affraid a collard female would get her head stuck in them (I've seen females get into jump holes with there collars STILL ON AND CLASPED!! ) So I wouldn't put it past one of my females to get stuck in it.

I'm using this as a hay holderhttp://mysticmosaics.org/images/harry-5.jpg. I've used a terra cotta pot in the past, which worked okay, but Sesame would be able to knock if over and pee in the hay if she wanted to.

hahahaha thats awesome!!

to the OP...the hay bins look great...i am looking to get something very similar from a bunny farm in canada...i like the middle 3 the best :)

I also like the $18 one but with 5 cages (6 chins)..that would get a bit pricey. I believe that little metal grate is removable in the $10 one so the chins leg wouldn't get caught in it.

I use one of those ceramic dust baths as a hay holder (the kind that has the little ears on it, but is actually too small to work as a dust bath for most chins). I just stuff it full of hay and it works really well at keeping the mess down.

I received one of the first hayracks on the BB site a couple years ago for free, the owner had me test out a few things with my guinea pigs for his marketing. They are well made - but as mentioned can be pricey. It is still in use (without the grid in place, after time it popped out with the pigs pulling on it) with my mother's rabbit.

Frankly, the hay mess is the hardest (mess wise) to deal with for a lot of people when it comes to chins. I've yet to find anything that keeps hay totally off my floor. The best option was really a 6-sided wire box made with 1x1 wire that hung from the top of the cage. One side could be unclipped, filled with hay, and put back. It made the chins work a little harder for their hay, and seemed to create a lot less mess.

If they hold up good I wouldn't mind paying the $10 each. I am leary of buying wood ones because they are just going to chew on them and eventually I am going to have to replace them.

I wouldn't recommend the first one on the page for chins unless you mount it on the outside (it can be mounted on either the inside or outside)

Chins have a hard time pulling hay out of 1/2x1 wire - so you might want to look at other options if that is what you have (or you can just pop out the grid) 1x1 or 1x2 wire will work fine with it on the outside.

They stay on the cage MUCH better than the traditional rack.

So the first one would be better served used without the grid then? I don't care for the traditional rack. I like that the one on BB has a solid bottom and springs/s-rings to attach it to the cage. One of my guys likes to wreck havoc on his cage and move anything/everything in sight...if its not fastened down..it moves..lol!

Latest posts

Back