Has anyone considered raw?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
Hey all. I’ve recently switched my dogs to a raw diet and have noticed amazing results in a very short time. Long story short, their fur is shiny, their teeth are white and they have loads more energy. Which led me to wonder… could a hedgehog possibly benefit from a raw or semi-raw diet? My dogs will be switched to this brand of food: http://www.sojos.com/complete.html and I’m debating giving a little to the hedgehogs to see what happens. I’m not certain if I’m going to go with the “complete” food or the one in which I add my own meat… if I add my own meat, I think I would lightly brown it for the hedgehogs, or feed them meat that I know won’t cause issues if fed raw – like beef. I don’t trust poultry.

Yay? Nay? What are your thoughts?

I'm all for raw mealies!

Agreed with your thoughts on raw poultry.

I don't know enough to comment on the other foods like fish or beef. My initial thought is: no, let's make sure all the bacteria are cooked out of that.

Not sure about that particular brand, but I had researched a BARF diet (Bones And Raw Food) for my dogs a while ago and the risk of food borne bacteria/viruses worried me. While the dogs don't contract the diseases, they are capable of passing it on to us- either through their licks, or their dog bowls, or anything else that the raw food comes in contact with. It just made me a little nervous. Hopefully someone with some vet experience can weigh in.

Back