hair ring check and pop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamiJami

My fiancée and I were trying to check Zipper for a hair ring. He wouldn't let us, just kept squirming away. As he was doing so, we heard a "pop". My fiancee said it came from Zipper's leg. He's walking and hopping just fine. If a chin has a broken leg, will he be able to do that? We weren't holding him hard by any means! It happened as he was turning to run between both of our arms. I'm really scared, please help! Our vet is 90 minutes away and isn't open at this time of night. So I need to know.

Samantha,

I would bring him to the vet sooner than later (tomorrow) so they can x-ray his body to see what is broke. It could be something very serious such as his pelvis. To answer your question if it could be his leg; yes it could be, but generally you would notice changes in they way he moves around.

Monitor him closely for any signs that something is bothering him and please keep us updated.

For the time being, it wouldn't hurt to confine him to one level in a smaller cage so he can't jump around. :thumbsup:

Remember that chins are prey animals...if they appear sick or hurt they become prime targets to other animals-which basically means for you that they will fake it until it's too late. They might have a broken bone that puts them in pain when they move-and just act like everything is normal so you don't know that they can't run from you :) So-if in doubt, send them out (to the vet).

If he were in pain, would he let me give him scritches everywhere? Because he hopped in my hand for them when I fed him this morning.

The vet isn't in until tomorrow. How lucky for us both! Though it kinda is. We're supposed to have snow today and state highway isn't ready to plow yet. So I might have been stuck. The vet they have on hand doesn't specialize in small rodents, but he said that if Zipper was wanting to be touched everywhere, he probably didn't break anything.

It might still be worth it to bring him in. I have only ever done one hair ring check with Buddy. It was traumatic for both of us! My husband had to hold him while I checked. If I remember right, he held him to his chest, again not hard, while I checked. We might have even covered his face and it calmed him down. I don't worry about them anymore because he is down there enough as it is. I try and check while he is "cleaning" himself.

How do they take xrays of chins? and what's the average cost? I don't have the appointment til 4 tomorrow.

My vet puts the chin inside a small box to keep the chin from moving to take the x-rays. I think some vets will gas the chin down.

Around here I get charged about $60 or $70, plus the exam charge which is like $50 if I remember correctly. It might be more or less in your area.

I'm sure it'll be more expensive. I'm in an area that only really likes dogs and cats.

Back