hair regrowth around eye & ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
i am treating one of my boys for an eye infection. he got trimethsulfa & the teramycin ointment. wow, is that stuff hard to work with. i didnt know if it was supposed to get IN the eye or just around it. but either way the fur around his eye looks horrible. he is off the ointment but almost 3 weeks on the trimeth, i think he is better. if it comes back, he is going to the vet.
i recall reading many threads on this, but is the typical treatment time this long? and is there anything i can do about the way his eye looks. there is one spot that has a "clump" of hair. last night i tried to soften it with saline and see if i could get it to separate. but i dont want to scratch is eye or anything. any advice????

That's a pretty long treatment. Everytime I have been prescribed something for an eye infection, it was ointment 2x daily for a week. The one time I've used oral antibiotics, it was a week long treatment as well.

Usually after three or so dust baths the fur gets looking better.

hmmmmmmmm...........i wonder if it took so long because i only used the ointment & tri meth 1 time a day. i am going to see how he looks over the next week or so and if i notice any white discharge......off to the vet he will go.

When Lily had an infection a bad vet gave us stye ointment (never use it on chins). Eventually we were given gentamycin drops that cleared it up. Our perscription was every 3 hours alternating between Gentamycin and non-medicated tears to help keep things sterile. I also found that it helped to clean her cage atleast twice a day to try to prevent her from re-infecting herself. She would rub her face on every surface possible.

Anyway the Stye Ointement literally glued her fur together and that whole side of her face was rock hard :-(

We would use warm cotton balls to loosen it up and gently clip fur off fur. My boyfriend would hold her and I would CAREFULLY clip bits of fur using round-ended blunt cutical scissors. I would hold the scissors with one hand and use my other hand to shield her eye. Most of the fur grew back fine although there is a ring around that eye that grew back funny. The texture is different and it seems to trap dust around the eye when she bathes so I have to give her less dust then I would for other chins.

If you can clean your chin up just with dust baths then I would do that before clipping fur. We had no choice because like I said her fur was literally glued together.

Back