Going away?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Hello, I am going away to visit family for 1 or 2nights, and I can't bring the chins. Is there anyway that i could leavethem here without a babysitter, or should i call one? what things should I keave in the cage to ensure that they will have food and water at all times? its only for one or two nights and i'll be home around midday the last day.

When I leave for a few days I just feed them with two dishes and make sure their water bottles are full. But I have a sitter if we're gone for more than two days. But it depends on how much your chins eat and drink.

Yeah overnight is fine, and if you are coming back the next morning I'd be comfortable with two nights. Just leave everything in a stable condition:)

i dont know, i dont like to leave them for more than 1 nite. you never know what could happen. any chance, someone can take 10 minutes and just look in on them to make sure the food hasnt tipped, bottles are not clogged and no one got hurt??
i guess with 2 there is much less of a chance of something happening than having 9. but i am just a worry wart.

I agree with Michelle. One day is fine, if it is much more than 24 hours, I call my chin sitter to come in for a look. Granted I have 20 chins, but still...it only takes a few minutes to check food and water and make sure all is okay.

I would have someone check on them, its better safe than sorry and in case you get held up that person would already have a key to the place and have been told basic chin care.

Well these are good points-I suppose I should have mentioned I have someone who knows how to get in and take care of anything if I ever get caught up or gone longer than I thought I'd be:)

Personally if I am going to be gone more than 24 hours I always bring my chin with me. The one time I couldn't (when I was traveling by plane), my vet took care of him for a very reasonable price. I'm just too nervous leaving him alone very long!

If you have someone nearby that could stop in to check on him, that would be ideal. Unfortunately I don't have someone like that.

I wouldn't leave my chins alone for more than 24 hours if that I always try to have someone that comes over to double check if my parents are away as well, I also have a piece of paper on what to feed, how to clean up if there is pee on the shelves yadda yadda yadda, and another on serious signs to look for, for example one of them being lethargic along with all of my choice vets contact informations and directions to get there plus how to contact me. Just because others have warned me that chins can get sick very easily and quickly and you possibly couldn't know until the last minute when it could be the only time you can save them because they do mask their illnesses well. Plus not to mention them escaping or getting caught on something and breaking a leg or what not.

I am very paranoid but I try to touch base on most things especially since I have lost a chin to carelessness.

If I stay overnight someplace, I just make sure they have plenty of hay, food and water. I have only done it a few times though. During the summer, I stayed away for the weekend and I had my brother check on them. Everything was fine. They probably would have been ok without him checking, but I would rather just be safe.

I definitely would not leave them alone without someone checking up on them for more than 24 hours, and when I have left them alone, I left a light and radio on.

During the summer, I stayed away for the weekend and I had my brother check on them. Everything was fine. They probably would have been ok without him checking, but I would rather just be safe.

I'm glad you had your brother check in on them, especially in the summer. The things that could go wrong are - your air conditioning could have gone out or you could have had a power outtage and the inside of your house could have gotten way too hot for the chins.

Back