Future Chin Owner (maybe)...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LaughingOutLoud

It all started a week ago.......
I was researching sugar gliders until I came upon a chinchilla site, I had been studying about gliders for months now and I was still a little nervous about buying an extremely high maintenance animal, so when I started researching chins I thought 'This I can handle!!', but I've still got a few questions:
Is there any diseases that can transmit to humans? I heard that people show them... what do 'judges' look for? I show rabbits, is chin showing the same? What is a good cage size, bar spacing, toys, etc., can they only have fleece material things like gliders? Do they bite hard? Do the need special feed (meal-worms, fruits, and vegetables) like sugar gliders? Are they excessively loud at night time? Sorry for so many questions... I want to do my research before I make a commitment to something that could live up to 15 years!!
Thanks! :chatterbox:

First off, welcome to CnH!

I'm glad you are doing your research before you make any decisions. You certainly have alot of questions. What I suggest is that you start reading the FAQ section on here, it should have all of the answers that you are looking for. If you don't understand something, I'm sure that someone would be more than happy to clarify it for you. :)

And once again for good measure, Welcome!

Most of your questions can be answered here, as said. Chins are wonderful companions and after you do some learning about them, I think you'll find that they are easy to care for but you have to know how to care for them properly to avoid any problems. Read up and then please, ask any questions and we'll be happy to help you! Welcome :)

Is there any diseases that can transmit to humans?

No, not that I've ever heard of. You do need to be careful about handling them if you are sick though. You will also need to keep them at a distance from your rabbits, pasteurella can be transferred to chins very easily. (There is another issue as well, can anybody else help?)

I heard that people show them... what do 'judges' look for? I show rabbits, is chin showing the same?

Chins shows are very different. They compete against a standard, so there can be multiple first and second places in a class. They are judged on their coat (density, color, clarity, etc) and their conformation and size play a part. They don't get disqualified for missing toes, or ears or parts of tails like rabbits would. Essentially they are judged on how quality of a pelt they would make.

What is a good cage size, bar spacing, toys, etc., can they only have fleece material things like gliders?

2x2x2 is a unwritten minimum for a single chin. They like height, so you have a wide variety of sizes you can use. Chins can have smaller cages, they are variable. Pet people will say you should have a wheel and out of cage time, and a lot of breeders use 1x1x2 breeding runs, with no play time. They can both be happy and healthy chins.

Do they bite hard?

I've been bitten worse by rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, and degus (the worst) They are "bitey" animals like sugar gliders. The only two chins I've been bitten by were very very scared rescues, and it was a nip that didn't break the skin.

Do the need special feed (meal-worms, fruits, and vegetables) like sugar gliders?

None of the above. A high quality pellet (they can eat certain rabbit pellets, PANR, Manna Pro, Pen Pals) and a good quality hay. Very similar to rabbit diets. Treats should be given sparingly. A small shredded wheat square, rosehip, or plain cheerio is most popular.

Are they excessively loud at night time?

They are nocturnal (for the most part, they will get up several times during the day). I wouldn't recommend them in a bedroom unless you are a very heavy sleeper or are okay with using earplugs.

They can live over 20 years, but are amazing pets. Thanks for doing research before you decide :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Their diets are similar to rabbit diets EXCEPT that rabbits can be given treats like vegetables and fruits, whereas chins should never be given fruits or vegetables. Just pellets, hay and water... and perhaps the occasional rosehip, plain cheerio or shredded wheat square.

Yes, they can bite. Though the worst bite I've ever had from a small animal was from a rabbit, I've had a couple of chin bites that did break the skin. Like other rodents (and rabbits), chins have large, strong incisors that they will use if they feel it's necessary.

As Jinul mentioned, chins are mostly nocturnal and are therefore more active and louder at night. That said, I've had chins in my bedroom and haven't been bothered by them. I think it depends on the chin as to how loud they are; I have a chin who seems to enjoy "barking" at precisely 1:00 am every night, and my other chin is very quiet. If you put a wheel in your chin's cage it will probably make things quite a bit more noisy at night.

Back