Fur loss?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnatebearx

Love me chins ^_^
Lately I have seen Sammys back leg have a 1"X1" roughly patch of the underlying fur. I have watched her and didnt see her chewin the fur but i checked and her skin isn't dry. I only bathe 2-3 times a week.

Any suggestions? I can upload photos later if needed.

156612_470490598996_511288996_5861311_6316174_n.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures would help...the description does not tell us nearly as much as a picture.

That is definitely chewing. I doubt you can watch her every second of the day or when you are sleeping. She had time somewhere to chew and is actively chewing from the looks of it. Solutions to chewing would be to offer more hay or different kinds of hay. You could also offer more chew toys and more hidey houses. Regardless of what you do, the chances of a chin stopping chewing once it's gotten to the point she is at, they do not stop chewing for anything. Also, pesticides in hay can sometimes cause a chinchilla to chew. Make sure your hay is from a good source.

That is definitely chewing. I doubt you can watch her every second of the day or when you are sleeping. She had time somewhere to chew and is actively chewing from the looks of it. Solutions to chewing would be to offer more hay or different kinds of hay. You could also offer more chew toys and more hidey houses. Regardless of what you do, the chances of a chin stopping chewing once it's gotten to the point she is at, they do not stop chewing for anything. Also, pesticides in hay can sometimes cause a chinchilla to chew. Make sure your hay is from a good source.

Right I never said I watch her every second, though she is next to me for a good 2/3's of the day as my desk is also beside her cage. The hay I get has not effected my other chin. I have noticed she never chewed on her pumice toy I got her until the last week or so. Since I have put another in for her. As for her toys, i think i spoil her rotten with chew toys. She has two house, two hammocks, and 4 ledges and a pvc hidey tube.

Could this also be from temperature change? We just started burning the woodstove within the last week or so. (its 2 rooms away)

It could be a temperature change or it could be something as small as someone farted in the room and it stressed her. There is really no way to know why she started chewing and there's no way to prevent chewing. A lot of chewing has to do with a chin's personality and genetics.

It could be a temperature change or it could be something as small as someone farted in the room and it stressed her. There is really no way to know why she started chewing and there's no way to prevent chewing. A lot of chewing has to do with a chin's personality and genetics.

All right thaks for you info, so we will see where it goes from here.

I know nothing about fur chewing, but I just have to ask - someone farting in the same room as a chin can cause them to stress out?? (I guess my pops isn't allowed in the same room as my chin lol)

I know nothing about fur chewing, but I just have to ask - someone farting in the same room as a chin can cause them to stress out?? (I guess my pops isn't allowed in the same room as my chin lol)

That was my "we don't really know what becomes the big stresser...it could be anything" kind of thing. I like to add sarcasm and humor where I can. :neener:

Oh I see - sorry about the interruption to the thread - but I found that absolutely hilarious!! :) glad its not true - grandpa can visit Pebbles now LOL

Back