Fur HELP!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrslatchaw09

I got my chin out today and I noticed by the base of her tail she has a bald spot.... What could have caused it?

It could be a fur slip, chewing or maybe ringworm. Can you see the skin? If so, does it look red and scaly? Can you post a picture?

I have noticed a small bald spot on the base of Idgie's tail as well. It is white skin underneath and at first just looked like a 1/2 inch white line on the top of her tail at the base. I'm not sure what happened and if she chewed it or not. I've had her for 5 years and she has never chewed before. She may have a little stress since I have been home during the day lately and may be disrupting her sleep routine. Otherwise, she seems totally normal. If it gets worse or red, do I take her to the vet? (If it is fungal and not just behavioral?) Should the fur grow back there?

The base of a chin's tail is a comon place for fur slips if you hold the animal in this area. Lorri, if the area looks reddish it might be fungus. You can treat it at home by putting antifungal powder in Idgie's dust. There is a FAQ on the forum about this.

The fur should grow back.

Thanks for the info. It is not red and I am beginning to think that it is fur slip. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Latest posts

Back