Found on side

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmileX3

My Squeaky just turned a year old. I had just gotten done cleaning the cages, water bottles, food bowls, & put the clean linens back in their cages and given them mulberry sticks when I looked back at Squeak (no more than 2 mins later) he was layng on his side and the stick was in front of his face. I picked up his limp body and took him outside to the conrete. My house was at 70 degrees bc I was cookng. Its been 75 before and they all were fine but that was during a power outtage during storm season. I've never dealt with a heat stroke but those seemed to be the symptoms. I did stick my pinky down his throat just in case something was lodged. I put the top of an extra cage out there on the porch with a cooling stone and he's hobbling around now. It was like what I think a stroke to be but I have 6 others in the same room and they're all fine so I don't know why it would've been the heat. He doesn't have a wheel in there so it wouldn't have been over exersion. I don't know. I ran through immediately and took away the sticks I just passed out to them just to be safe. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening to my lil boy?

Was he convulsing? Wondering if maybe he was having a seizure...when they have a seizure they act almost drunk looking afterwards...

I didn't see him convulse. He was fine then I literally gave chews to the others, turned and he was on his side looking dead.

I kept him outside for a long time and now he's acting normal and back in his cage, eating and drinking normally. I have absolutely no idea what happened. If anyone has ever had this happen or has any helpful knowledge, please pass it on to me because I thought for sure I was going to lose my lil buddy.

Sounds like he had a seizure. Some chins have excitement fits around food/treat time. They look slightly different to hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) fits & are more 'focal' in nature. It is possible he was so excited about his stick that he had a fit.

I would continue to monitor him for abnormal behaviour, make sure he is moving properly, eating, drinking, peeing & pooping ok & if you are at all concerned then a trip to the vet is advised.

Back