Formica interiors?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rickman

Since there's currently so much talk about melamine cages, I was wondering if Formica, [same as countertops] would be safe or safer than melamine?
Being I used to design kitchens and am very familiar with custom - made cabinets, I'm going to approach the 3 custom cabinet makers in the area for priceing.
These might be a little expensive, as the exterior can/will be furniture grade, but not real heavy, as the 3 sides can be thinner, and the front, screen.
I'm thinking 36 inches tall, 36 inches wide 24 inches deep, with a single 6" drawer on the bottom, front flips down, for a pull out pan, on the drawer slides. Also spaces to mount wheels on the bottom.
To eliminate holes, they can mount those steel rails, so you can move the shelves to any height.
Top would also be formica, to eliminate scratchability.
Anything I missed?
Maybe some holes in the sides, with some screened "plugs" for ventilation.

Last edited:
Formica doesn't hold up well, and does not do well with water saturation. It is very expensive comparatively (as I'm sure they'll quote you).

I'm using tileboard, also not so good with water on the back, but the front can take a beating. It is $10 for a 4 x 8 sheet, very light and very easy to cut. Also comes in all sorts of colors and designs.

My favorite is still regular pine with lots of layers of polyurethane on it. Tough, hold up well, if you seal the cracks they'll last you forever.

My favorite is still regular pine with lots of layers of polyurethane on it. Tough, hold up well, if you seal the cracks they'll last you forever.
Is the polyurethane safe for them to chew on?

There'd be a lot of combinations available, and being formica, I doubt water [or urine] could perment it, [unlike melamine] except maybe at seams, which I now believe can be waterproofed!
Just think; a natural stained maple "cage" with white formice interior, and your natural pine shelves, with a brass screen and brass hardware!
Just add a pink-white and a beige - and you'd have a showroom!

Is the polyurethane safe for them to chew on?

I've never had one chew the walls or floors. Once solid it is like plastic and would probably pass through with no adverse effects.

Rick, the cage you and I discussed via PM priced at $1,200! I enjoy my chins, but don't need furniture-grade quality for them. :winkers:

Molly - that's why I'm going to a custom builder - the regular "box stores" only know to add percentages for custom work - a builder would realize the work involved! P.M. me with your idea and sizes and I'll use yours!
I used to have a builder in Wisc. that did countertops and laminate cabinets, and I'll call them, too!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back