Food Brands

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

anue118

I've being using a local off-brand chinchilla food for over a year (My chin is adopted and it's what her previous owners had her on). However, I would like to switch to another brand. There's just not very much nutritional information available for this off-brand, and I would feel better if I knew she was eating something healthy. I have enough of her old food left to make a gradual transition to a new brand.

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. I don't know much other food brands other than Kaytee isn't a good idea :).

Well, of brands specifically for chinchillas Tradition, Mazuri, and Oxbow are considered the best. Mazuri has been known to cause soft poo in some chins, alot of chins do great on it. Some people also use very high quality rabbit food, like MannaPro Sho, PANR (Purina advanced nutrition rabbit), and PenPals.

If you look through the chin nutrition section there are a few different threads about feed and what everyone feeds there chins. If you have questions on specific feeds I'm sure someone would be happy to answer them. :)

You can check out the different web sites for Manna Pro, PANR, PenPals, etc to find out if you can get them at a dealer close to you too.

I am feeding Manna Pro. The chins seem to be doing well on it. I had them on PenPals, but had some issues so I switched them to Manna Pro.

well I started 2 of my 3 on tradition but our one didn't really seem interested in eating and would barely eat 1/2 a tablespoon a day.

We now feed Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit pellets (PANR) and they love it. Our boy's bowl is empty every morning so he's eating 2 and a 1/2 tablespoons and our picky girl is eating a little over a tablespoon so she's eating more of her pellets as well.

We've had no problems with our switch either.

I would suggest looking for a feed store near you that is where we find some of the feeds that are listed on this site that are good for chinchillas. Our feed store is like 5 blocks down and I get a 10 lb bag of the PANR for $5.75! That's less than what I was spending in shipping for the tradition I was feeding.

I have two chinchilla girls and they are eating Prestige Chinchilla food. They have been eating it sicne we got them in November. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is an okay food or if I should be switching their food.

When I adopted Idgie, she was eating Kaytee. I slowly switched her to Mazuri (b/c I could get it at the petstore--now I order from people on this site). She did very well with it. She ate it immediately and didn't eat the Kaytee when I gave her half/half. No problems with soft poops. Guess I was lucky. She also gained 100g, and that was the best benefit. I would definitely recommend switching.

I have been feeding mazuri until recently and haven't had any problems with soft poos. I am switching to oxbow now simply because my pet store stopped carrying mazuri and now carries oxbow.

Back