Food and Poo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

So for the past few weeks, my boys have been having soft poos. This started out of nowhere. We tried different things to see what may be causing it and it seems to be the food. We removed the feed for a week and left them with hay only and it seemed to have gotten better. We put food today, same food, different bag (thinking moisture got into our mix) and now some hours later, soft poos. At least from one of the two....can't tell exactly.
They have been on PANR for almost two years and now the new formula PRCS for the past 6 months. Can it really be the food out of nowhere?

Is there another brand that I can do a cold switch with? I've been giving them twice a week lifeline (dry), the one loves it, the other won't touch it if he's not in the mood for some reason. There don't seem to be any other problems.

Suggestions????

No one.....
Any ideas as to which pellets I should try since that seems to be the problem. Pulled them off the feed again and a day an half later, no soft poops, a little smaller right now but not soft.

I really wish Purina hadn't messed with their formulas. Mine all did great on and loved the PANR. I tried a few of their new formulas and either the chins didn't like them or some got soft poops. I finally switched everyone to Oxbow and haven't had any problems. All of the chins love it and we have no soft poops.

It was just weird that they were fine for months and all of a sudden problem. I'll try to get a small bag of oxbow and try it first. The good thing is they eat anything, so I don't foresee a problem with cold switch.

Lydz if you are going to oxbow, Sandi has the best deal generally if you only can do like 10lbs at a time since you only have 2. I just got lucky and a small local petshop just started to carry it and I pay only a little bit more for 10lbs there than I would have paid for 5 lbs at one of the big pet stores.

Mine have been good on oxbow. I wouldn't try Mazuri if you are getting soft poos from the Purina since Mazuri can do that to some chins, although I have foster who does fine on it.

I am going to try it first before I get a lot. There is a feed store near me that carries the 5lb bag. Don't know the price yet but they are holding their last bag for me. I'll see how it goes with that.

Has anyone ever had a chin react to a feed after being on it for a long time with no problem?
I am only assuming that is the problem since it gets better within a day of no feed.

Meanie uses the chinchilla deluxe formula for her chins.
I do feed Chinchilla deluxe.

Lydz if you are going to oxbow, Sandi has the best deal generally if you only can do like 10lbs at a time since you only have 2. I just got lucky and a small local petshop just started to carry it and I pay only a little bit more for 10lbs there than I would have paid for 5 lbs at one of the big pet stores.
I second Sandi as a source for Oxbow Chinchilla food. Even with shipping, you will pay less than you do at the pet store.

Mine have been good on oxbow. I wouldn't try Mazuri if you are getting soft poos from the Purina since Mazuri can do that to some chins, although I have foster who does fine on it.
I agree with not using Mazuri, as it does have a history of causing soft poop in some chins. Mazuri is also made by Purina.

Back