First time showing??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjess10475

I'm debating on showing one of my chins at a show. I have been searching for some guidance on when to start preparing her, and how far in advance...what combs I need, etc. How many times to dust...when to dust...when not to dust, etc. Just looking for any help. It stinks being new, but I suppose everyone started somewhere. I'm not looking to take home some grand champion trophy! Just want to get involved! My daughter and I love chin shows and are so excited!
Also, if grooming starts Saturday at 7:00, can I register that morning or do I have to do it the night before? I live 1 1/2 hours away so it would not be convenient to drive there and back the night before, and don't want to stay in a hotel. So, can I just do it at 7:00 a.m.?
It's an ECBC show if that matters.
Thank you so much for any help. Sorry if I ask goofy questions. Still learnin :)

Here's a thread on show etiquette. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277

Here's a thread on the different sized combs and their uses. http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19123

Generally breeders start preparing their chins months in advance of a show with weekly or daily dusting depending on the humidity in the area. I only need to dust once a week because my humidity sits around 20% in the chinchilla room at winter time.

Here is also a list from my website with things to bring to a show and some basics. The only thing not on that list that you may need are a pair of scissors to trim the tail of your chinchilla. Trimming the tail is just to cut away any urine stained fur to keep it from reflecting on the chinchilla during the show and making them look off color.
http://www.freewebs.com/fuzzychinchy/ShowingPage.html

You are going to want to rough comb your animal as soon as possible and then dust every day up until the Wednesday or Thursday night before the show in your area of the country. Ebonies, blacks, dark standards I pull the dust on Wednesday and lighter animals I let go for one more night. We can help you out at the show with things like paper work and final grooming.

Also, I was just wondering... I did not breed this chinchilla. I purchased her. Can I still show her? Like I said...I'm new!

Yes you can show purchased animals but they must be registered under the breeder name you bought them from.

It is perfectly acceptable to show an animal you did not breed, once you own it, you're allowed to decide what to do with it. You still register the animal into the show under your name since you are the exhibitor showing the animal. The only thing you do different is put the original breeder's ranch brand on the paperwork and notify the judging table that you did not breed the animal so that they record the placing of the animal, but not the breeder points.

What type of payment do you accept Jags? I see a chin I may be interested in on your site.
Also, what do I do in a show if I don't know the exact age of my chin? She is from the Silkrhein ranch, but that's not where I got her. I was told she is 7 months old. I got her at a big ranch near me.

Cash, check or paypal. You can put an approimate age if it is not known. In each class at an ECBC show they will all compete against each other no matter what their age is.

Latest posts

Back