First aid supply dosages and methods of application/ingestion

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mittens, Ph.D.

I'm putting together a first aid kit. I want to know your suggestions for:
1)dosages, and
2)methods of getting that particular medicine into the chin (syringe, sprinkle on food, in the water, etc).

- pedialyte
- tinactin (how much do you use for prevention, and how much if they have ringworm in the dust?)
- simethicone drops
- acidophilus
- metamusil

This is going to be made into a little book for me to keep on hand for my reference, and their sitter's reference while I'm away, so please also share any first aid advice that you think needs to go into a book.

Pedialyte would most likely be mixed with critical care in an emergency, or when they have really runny poo.

Tinactin is a Tablespoon per cup of dust, I am almost sure, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Kaykay is correct about the baby gas drops and the acidophilus, use as needed but hard to OD.

I have not heard of using Metamusil, and actually don't even know what it is!

I spelled it wrong, it's metamucil. It's the same as Petromalt, it's for constipation.

The Tinactin is one teaspoon per cup of dust. :)

Pedialyte could either be mixed into the CC or you can hang a 50/50 water bottle with it in it. I have never used Pedialyte (knocks wood), but this is what I was told.

As far as the Metamucil, I have never heard of using that for a chin and could not even begin to guess at an amount to give.

Hrm... Ok, it's in the first aid supply recommendation list. Is there a standard recommendation for constipation?

I went and looked that thread up Mittens, wondering if that's where you got that from, but I personally have had no experience with it. Maybe someone who has can post to this thread and give you a first hand experience with it.

Using Metamucil, IMO, may be risky with a chin. You may not be sure how each chin may react to dosage. If a chin is constipated they must not be eating enough hay. I always try to encourage chins to eat on their own so when appropriate, I will give them some alfalfa hay with their timothy hay for just a day or two, because chins will usually eat the alfalfa and they get the fiber to help get things moving.

Also, a very tiny amount of canned pumpkin works very well for constipation. I normally don't endorse giving veggies to chins, but in this case you do what you have to for recovery. It would be no problems for people to keep a can of pumpkin in their cabinet just in case. You can also give a small amount of winter squash (baby food) in some CC. The chins love the taste and it is high in fiber.

It is always good to have baby food, I prefer organic, on hand for hand feeding if necessary. Fluids are also very important when a chin is constipated, that is where the Pedialyte comes in.

Back