Eye issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScarlettSugoi

I'm not even sure if this is a incredible emergency but I will let you all decide that.

Last night my chinchilla had something on his eye. Couldn't really tell what it was but me and my dad decided to use eye drops. A few months back the vet said we could use any kind of eye drops, even ones my family uses. So we used my moms. Immediately it looked like whatever was on his eye was washed out. But a bit of the drop got on his fur and he began to scratch at that spot and his eye for a while. My dad said maybe it stung slightly and that he'd be fine. But for alot of the night he held that eye shut and me being someone to worry I freaked out. Before bed and now this morning he has the eye open. Not fully all the way but most of the way and he will let me scratch around his neck and pet around his eye on the side near his ear. But the other side with the spot he rubbed at and that part of the eye, if I try he makes a small sound and steps back. My dad keeps saying its probably just sore now and since the eye looks fine it just needs a day or so to heal. And I hope its that easy.

So here I am seeking help.

Im not sure. I will get the bottle when I can and check. Do you think he is alright though?

i would be concerned that a vet would tell you to use any type of eye drops. unless prescribed by a vet, you should really only use saline on your chins eyes.

personally, i would get a cotton pad wet with saline and gently wipe his eye area to both remove any debris as well as dilute any strong drops that were used. i would keep a close eye on his eye for the next 24 hours while it settles down from all the irritation. if there is still redness or he is pawing at his eye, i would find a chin competent vet and have him evaluated. he or someone else may have scratched the eye.
also if you have noticed anything different in the last few weeks make a note of it, as a watery eye could be a result of somethign else.

The vet said to use any kind? Steroidal eye drops should be avoided- chins and steroids do not mix well.

It's possible that the object in his eye scratched the cornea and that's why it's still bothering him. If he continues to act like it is bothering him, I would go to a (different) competent vet and get a scratch test done on the eye. If there is a scratch he will need drops prescribed. Gentamyin, tobramycin, and terramycin are usually the most common eye medications prescribed for chins.

We called a different vet. He said to flush it and asked what all kinds of eye drops we have. My dad has some artificial tears and the doctor said to just flush it with warm water with a pinch of salt and then use the artificial tears. i have to say i see a big improvement. now he is coming to me and letting me love on him and hold him again. he isnt hiding. he is lively again and his eye is open and all thats wrong seems to be the fur got wet around his eye and once and a while he kind of closes it for a moment. but his eye itself looks well again with nothing in it. the vet said if he starts scratching again (which he has stopped) to take him in to be looked at.

Back