Dust Bathing in Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

So today after I gave my boys their dust baths, I noticed that the one, I think Chewy, started doing the dust bath rolling in his house with the bedding. Is this normal? Did I not give it to them long enough? Or are they just overly excited about dust baths?

I know he's done the same thing before on my husband's jeans (Possibly cause of the color) and once before he even entered the bowl with the dust bath. We always get a kick out of that. But this is new with the bedding.

Let them in there longer - as long as they want, as you really can't over-dust them in a day!

It's normal...that is if they're not given enough time to dust the way they "want" to. I usually leave the dustbath(s) out during playtime...they run in and out, dust then come back for more later. But if I only let a few of the boys out at a time I do notice the others in their cages will attempt to dust in their littler pan or on loose dust on the cage floor...I guess if they see the others doing it they should too LOL. My twin boys were out the other day and Frick was IN the dust house and Frack was sitting by it waiting for his brother to come out...well, Frack got tired of waiting and tried to "bathe" on the dust that had spilled onto the carpet...it was cute LOL.

Back