Does sex make a difference?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoogy

Hi! So, I rescued my first hedgehog last january. I had an amaising time with him! I got him he was extremely anti-social from lack of attention, and I was able to make it come out of his shell once in a while :). Unfortunately, Sonic crossed the rainbow beidge in june. Ever since he left us, I have wanted to get another... one of my own, and we've decided April will be a good time.

With April quickly approaching, I want to make the decision on the best hedgehog for me! My question is basicly : Does sex make a difference on personality? For example: Are females generally nicer? Or are males? Is there a difference in sex for which is most easy going?

Then, does fixing make a difference on personality as well? Or no?

Thanks! :D

No, there is no personality difference between the sexes. Individual hedgehogs have differences in personality but it doesn't matter what sex they are.

The only difference is the boys tend to self pleasure themselves. Some are very private about it, but others are more obvious.

Self pleasure? Really?? Omg, that is ADORABLE!!! XD

And is there any advantages to having the hedgie fixed or no?

Thanks for your reply!!

Sandra

Neutering a male is a risky procedure because their testicles are internal. Although some boys do get reproductive cancers, it isn't a common cancer so to neuter is probably more risk than there is risk of the cancer.

Girls are a different matter. There is a high risk of uterine and reproductive cancers in the girls. When done by an experienced vet, spaying a girl is no more risky than any other surgery. Many owners are now spaying their girls to prevent reproductive cancers.

Awesome! So... if I get a male, not to be neutered, if I get a female, spay is a good choice... Is spaying such a small animal very expensive? On average... What are the chances of complications? As I understand, it is worth the risk?

Also... I meant to ask... are some colors more/less healthy? For example... I LOVE the Pinto colored ones! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

But they don't seem to be very common at all... are they a healthy color? Or should I opt for the regular dark quill with white tip?

Sorry for all the weird questions, I just want to make sure I get the one that is perfect for me :D

Thanks again!

Yes, spay is a good option for a female. Prices are really dependent on where you live and your vet. Having laser surgery is the best option as laser is faster, less blood loss and faster healing time. You would probably be looking at $300-$400. It is best done around 6-9 months.

There is no difference in health between one colour and another although some people think the fancy colours have more health issues. I'm not sure if that is actually true or not.

Pintos are becoming very common but more so in the US.

I am a firm believer in that when the perfect hedgehog comes along, you will know it, regardless of colour or sex. :thumbsup:

I would find a reputable breeder and handle a few. Like Nancy said, you will probably fall in love with one- adopt him or her, regardless of which sex or color... Have fun searching... I have a cinnacot and a pinto, both beautiful girls!
:)

Awesome! Thank you! :D

The only problem now is finding a good breeder... I KNOW there is at LEAST one in Edmonton, since this very nice and GOOD "pet shop" owner (Family owned, VERY small, dogs only from good breeders, she breeds her own hamsters and rabbits and guinea pigs...), and she gets her hedgehogs from Edmonton... I just don't know how reputable... :( Probably not very as he's probably the only one in the area...

I have found a few breeders in BC, it is a 10 hour drive, and they claim to breed a few times a year, and claim to also breed pintos :D lol! But Ideally, I don't want to have to drive back 10 hours with a young hedgie in the car, and I also don't want to have it shipped by plane :(

Do ANY of you know of good breeders near Edmonton, Alberta?

I DO agree with you about getting simply the perfect one whatever color or sex, as it's happened too many times before with my hamsters. I tell myself I want something, and I come out with totally different :p lol! I just hope the perfect will be a pinto, though I will love whatever I choose :p

Thanks for your help, ladies! :D I REALLY appreciate!

No one that sells to, or breeds for a pet store is a good breeder. Good breeders want to know who their babies go to and do not want them in a pet store situation.

There is Nikki in Manning, Alberta. http://quillsnthings.webs.com/ She'd be about 6 hours from you.

I have seen her website, but I can't seem to send her a comment... it keeps giving me error messages... I wanted to ask her about pintos... but in a way... 6 hours drive is not much different from 10.... I just ideally don't want to drive more than an hour with the poor thing scared to death in my car :(

Are they really? No extra stress on them at all? No negative health issues with stress? If there isn't, I'd go halfway across the world to get one... I just don't want it to have a negative impact on the poor little confused creature :(

Thank you for the e-mail :) I shall write to her :D

Of course there's stress but there is stress on them going to a new home regardless of how far it is and there can be health issues from the stress. That is true of any animal going to a new home.

Back