Does dustbath get old?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn

ZooKeeper
I have dustbath in Tink's pen that I don't think she's using. Her fur looks ok but I haven't seen her use her bath. I have it in an enclosed box with a door way to keep the mess down (not new) and I have seen evidence that she's been in the box, but I'm not possitive she's actually rolling around in the dust. I then took some of the dust from the box and put it in a pan and still don't see her using it. If her fur looks ok, should I assume she's using it when I'm not around? I haven't replaced her dust in months. I've cleaned any poo from it, but does dust get old an unappealing after a while? Do I need to replace it ever so often? Thanks.

I sift my dust after every use and replace it after about a week. They pee and poop in the dust. If she's not dusting, you need a different dust house. And you don't leave it in the cage, you put it in for 10 minutes a few times a week.

Yes, you should replace the dust every so often. After awhile, it gets clumpy and doesn't work as well. If you want to save money, you can sift the dust after each use so that more of the fine powder is left. If you're not sifting it you need to replace it about every 3 times I would say. Really, you can look at dust and tell when it needs to be replaced. if you see big grains in there like sand, it's time to replace it.

Also, your chin shouldn't have free use of the dust. Offer the dust bath 2-3 times every week, but don't let your chin have access to it other than those times.

Yeah, it really shouldn't stay in the cage all the time. They tend to use it as a bathroom--the dust soaks up the pee and then breaks apart, then they're rolling around in it. Plus, having free access to it can give them dry skin.

The dust should be very fine and powdery. You don't mention what kind you use, so I also wanted to say that Blue Cloud or Blue Sparkle are great brands of dust, much much better than what you can get in the pet store. There are several people here on the forum who carry it, and it's cheaper (even with shipping) than getting it in the pet store, too.

If she doesn't use her dust house, you can try a glass gallon jar, like a pickle jar, or a fishbowl...I have one chin (Bonnie) who absolutely loves to roll around in the cover to a plastic pie-taker, and prefers it to the dust house. You may have to try a few things to see what your chin prefers.:)

I don't recall what the brand name was when I bought my dust last, I got it from Petsmart. I have learned since then to look for Blue Cloud which I am going to order in the next few days. I had been giving her baths in a large pan but dust went everywhere so one day I created a dustbath house out of a cardboard box. I have thought about getting the traditional dustbath house for her but now I'm not positive if she'll use it or not. If she isn't using the cardboard one, do you think she'd use the other or should I just go back to using a pan and cleaning up the mess? I also hated the idea of so much of it getting wasted... I have been leaving it in full time, I thought another member had said it was ok, but I will go back to only giving it to her a few times a week.

I have a hunch that maybe the dust got so soiled that she hasn't been using it? I"m not a chinnie psychic though :)

Whether or not she dusts shouldn't be dependent on what container you use. I would replace the dust, and offer it just a few times a week as mentioned above. It's pretty obvious when a chin has taken a dust bath because they get pretty....dusty!

A plastic bin or tub works fine, and might be deep enough to keep some of the mess in. Or, you can take the chin into the bathroom, and set the dust bath in the bathtub. That way, any dust that gets out of the dustbath can be rinsed down the drain. :)

Usually a few times a week is plenty; you can tell when their fur looks a little grungy and they need a dusting. If you live in a humid area, they may need it a little more often.

I've noticed poop in the dust, but no urine. But replace it I will. I live in NW Washington where it is very humid, we get a lot of rain! Her fur seems fine to me but I haven't noticed a "walking dustcloud" in some time. Like said, the last dust I got was from Petsmart, don't remember the brand. Does brand make that big of a difference as far as appeal and actual conditioning?

I think dust plays a big role in it. I like blue sparkle. Many people like blue cloud. Those are the 2 I can think of, I am sure there are many other kinds

Yes, the brand can make a big difference.

Most of the petstore brands are on the grainy side, so it doesn't get down to the skin well to lift off the oils.

And after a dustbath, whenever she jumps on something, there should be some dust flying around for a little while, until the excess shakes off.

Yes, the brand does make a big difference. The stuff they sell at pet stores (doens't matter which brand it is), is much more like sand and isn't able to penetrate their thick fur as well.

Blue Cloud and Blue Sparkle are veryyyy fine powders. They're basically the same thing except Blue Sparkle has a sparkle to it.

Last edited:
Blue Cloud and Blue Sparkle are very fine.. So fine that you will find dust in places you didn't think it should be. Seems like I am always dusting off something that has a fine layer of it on top.

It is so dry here where I live that this month my chins are getting a bath once a week. Once it's not so dry I'll bump it up. Loki popcorns after getting a bath now.

The sifter is a great tool!

Even with Blue Cloud/Blue Sparkle, I've noticed that the dust gets grainy, almost like sand, after a few uses and end up throwing it out, so the dust definitely needs replacing.

There are so many things that you should be able to use for a dust bath, just make sure they have enough room to roll over.

I usually change Aurora's dust after about every 4th or 5th use, or if I just think it should be changed.

I have the traditional dust house and have no complaints, you just have to be sure to take it out after 10 min because you don't want to have plastic in the cage that they can chew on.

I got new dustbath and a dusthouse for Tink and now she is using her dustbath again. So yes, I have learned that dustbath does get old and does need to be replaced. This is the first time I have had a dusthouse for her and it is so cute to see her roll around so excitedly in the dust. I used to use a large metal pan and she would roll around, but in the house, which is a smaller space, she can do faster rolls and she stopped upside down with her feet sticking out. I almost thought I was going to have to help right her again! So thanks for the advice, my chin is a happy, dusty chin again!

I sift my dust after every use and replace it after about a week. They pee and poop in the dust. If she's not dusting, you need a different dust house. And you don't leave it in the cage, you put it in for 10 minutes a few times a week.

That's a good idea, I never thought of doing that. Thanks for saying that.

Now I have to go out and buy a sifter though..lol

Jean

I use old 1 gal. pickle jars, about 2-3 times a week, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 cup per chin.
Love watching them, especially when they get 2 or 3 in at a time - and they don't seem to fight about it!

Back