Dirt on ears?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

WedgiesMom

I had my little guy out today for playtime / cage cleaning and I noticed he has what appeared to be dirt or dry skin on the tips of his ears. It was dark gray in color and looked almost like it could be a fungus? He gets a dust bath once or twice a week and I clean his cage weekly. I read somewhere to rub their ears with a little mineral oil and a dry cloth but this didnt seem to remove it. He doesnt seem to be itching them at all, so mabey Im nuts and his ears have always looked like that, lol. Any advice?

I would guess that it is dry skin. That's what would happen to Tigger (rip..) and they would kind of look scaley. You can try putting bagbalm on it, that always helped with Tigger.

I asked about this recently somewhere else and was told saline solution would work.

What color is your chin? If he is a beige or a pink white, or any form of beige (tan, brown velvet, etc) they usually develop freckles on their ears as they age. Could that be what you are seeing?

I would guess dry skin use bagbalm or vitamin E oil. I'm curious why someone said saline solution I would think that would dry it out even further.

Saline is usually used for eye stuff (duh...I know) but I've never read etc. about it on ears...

I'm a big fan of bag balm:heart3:

I just bought bag balm to put on my chin's dry-ish ears, and he HATED it. I don't know if he just needs to get used to it or what, but I put a bit on his ears and started to rub it in and he freaked and ran away (to a corner of his cage) then spent five minutes trying to roll in his bedding and scratch at his ear and he kept jumping around and shaking off (he looked like a dog with water in its ears after a bath). Anyone else have problems like this with using bag balm for the first time?

Back