Diarrhea and Weight Loss?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pebbles

My 13.5 year old chinchilla has lost weight, and now has the runs. I don't know what too do! can someone help?

Can you give us any more info? What does he normally weigh? How much has he lost, and over what period of time? Is he eating? Has he had any changes in environment or food/hay recently?

Also, may seem disgusting but can you describe the poop? Is it mushy, or is it liquid? What color? Does it have any smell? Any mucous?

my mom wont let me take her to the vet, but now her poo is just soft, but it was runny. im not sure exactly how much she weighed, bu ti can feel her spine more than usual. im not letting her eat pellets till her poo is normal, and i gave her a bit of burnt toast. there isnt any mucous or weird smell: its just soft. we moved her cage around a little, and we've been down in the basement more than often lately. you have no clue how grateful i am that you toke time to help me out!!!!thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Why won't your mom let you take her to the vet? What is so bad about getting an animal medical treatment that it needs? You need to get the chin to the vet if you can feel his spine. It sounds like she may have a parasite and the only way to get rid of it is medication from the vet. Otherwise her body will just slowly be robbed of nutrients until she is malnourished.

my mom just doesnt know if we should, because now she is happier than ever, and is back to normal, other than a little skinnier.

I would get a scale right away and keep notes of the weight loss - Are you filtering her water? Is she drinking water? What kind/brand of pellets and hay are you feeding? Is she eating? You will need to go to the vet if the diarreha continues and if she isnt eating or drinking you will need to handfeed her.

she doesnt have diarrhea anymore- her turds are just smaller than they were. i give her kaytee, and hay from my uncles farm. she has been eating, but i dont give her filtered water. she drinks as much as ever. i just give her regular tap water. she was never fat, but i dont think she lost too much weight, but what kind of scale should i use? thanks again everyone!

also, could i just be over-reacting? i got her in like May, and her old owner said she got the runs before, so maybe this isn't such a big problem? im so worried about pebbles!

well, her old owner said it was because pebbles ate too many raisins, but she is sooooooo happy now! she never bounced around her cage the way she has lately, so could she be better?

Diarrhea is very serious with chins. Both my chins have had diarrhea in the past. One time it was because I gave him dried fruit, which I never do anymore. Another time, I took them traveling with me and the stress of the car ride gave them diarrhea. Another time, I think it might have been the Mazuri pellets that they were on. Once I switched them over to PANR, they're fine.

If they have diarrhea, they need to be on fluids. Most likely the good bacteria count in their stomach is out of balance. If it's serious, your chin needs to be on Bene-bac and some kind of antibiotic; if not, with Bene-bac itself & time, the diarrhea will run its course.

Diarrhea is serious; considering a chinchilla is not a big animal and can easily lose fluids, and they're good at hiding symptoms that could point to other illnesses, taking your chin to a vet who specializes in exotic animals would be the best idea.

Since you mentioned that your chin is getting better, just keep an eye on her & provide her with lots of hay. No more dried fruits.

ok thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!! she is alot better now! she eats, drinks, and doesnt have diarrhea anymore!!!!!!:)

Good! My Furby gets diarrhea when there's a cat outside our window, or for any other reason. :rolleyes: sometimes you just need to keep an eye on them, to make sure it doesn't come back.

thanks again everyone! i think she was just stressed! she is doing great!!!!!!!!

Back