Cultivating Rosehips

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric4144

Are the rose hips on the plant before or after the flowers? I know someone who has a million rose bushes and I was wondering exactly how to cultivate them and where they were on the plant. I really like being able to to make Hercules's things myself and it would be great if I could get the rosehips and prepare them myself to. Thanks for any help guys!

I believe they are what's left after the flowers loose their petals. You need to be 100% sure that the plants have never been treat with anything. If there is even a small chance that they have been, don't use them.

Rose hips show up in the fall after the roses have bloomed & died. The trick is to leave the dead heads on the plant, which most gardeners do not do. You usually harvest them when they turn red, then let them dry.

It doesn't matter if the plant has been treated or not, if it gives you warm fuzzies to use a non-treated rose bush then only use non-treated ones.

Otherwise, the pesticides used on roses are also used on chins to kill fungus, the worst of them being Captan.

Most people I know use a mix of baking soda/dish soap or some other home remedy to combat critters. Since they're your rose bushes, you'll know what's on them. :)) In Pullman they had a lot of wild rose bushes all over campus. They'd be absolutely covered in rose hips, I could get an entire sandwich bag off of one knee-high plant.

oh cool I know the bushes are entirely organic b/c everything he grows is organic. He has an amazing yard. It's a giant garden. I'll make sure to ask him to let me have the hips this fall. Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back