Could she have WHS?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

catahstrophic

I'm about to cry writing this. I've noticed that Sonic has been wobbling when walking lately. I keep checking her back legs to make sure she hasn't broken anything but nothing seems to be out of place or sensitive to my touch. She just doesn't seem to be able to walk like she used to. I'm going to try to schedule a vet appointment soon my next day off work/school which might be Wed. or Thurs.

She hasn't been running on her wheel at all. This makes me really sad. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid she has WHS. Because she's not cool to touch like she has been before when she's gotten too cold.

I just took a video. I seriously cried after taking it when she fell twice right before I stopped it. This is awful. I feel awful like it's my fault, like I didn't take good enough care of her or something. Like somehow this could have been prevented. I'm uploading it right now. I'm really REALLY upset about this.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlgIv7mSqyE

Hopefully I can get to a vet Monday before I go into work after class. But I just don't know what's wrong with her. I don't want her to be suffering :[

How old is she?

First thing I would do is bump up her temperature a few degrees just to rule temperature out.

The first part of the video with her going for the water it could be anything from too cool, sick, ear infection, WHS or elderly. Where she tips over going into the bag is a typical symptom of whs but oldies and ill can do that too. If it is WHS, she is in the initial stages. As it progresses, they have more and more difficulty getting up when they tip over and do sort of a paddling motion.

Is she loosing weight? How is her appetite? Any changes in feces or urine? Does she scratch or dig at her ears, shake herself or her head. Any vomiting?

The vet can rule out other causes but cannot tell you if she has whs. Often a vet will jump to a whs diagnoses without fully checking. Ear infection often causes tipping over like that.

Don't jump to conclusions yet.

Back