Closed/goopy eye?? HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pocolate

I just got a bonded trio a few weeks ago. I just noticed my standard had his eye shut and was not opening it. My fiance arrived home and pulled him out to look at it, said it didn't look like anyone had attacked him or anything. He has spent his entire day sleeping/hiding/something in his house and I have been busy all day, I don't remember it looking that way last night when I said good night to everyone either!

I am really worried because I've never had any issues in my three years of owning my single chin. When my fiance opened his eye to get a look at it, it was goopy on the bottom (green). He was eating when I noticed, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

I have some eye ointment that the people gave me from their vet for the mosaic who had a scratch on his eye a year ago or something. I am wondering if I should use it? It is called Terramycin. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You need to take him to the vet. Do not use anything that was not given to you for YOUR chin's particular medical problem. Where in PA are you? I can recommend a wonderful vet in my area...24-hour service so you could go right now. At least take him tomorrow at the latest...it could be serious and you don't want him to have any long lasting problems from it.

Here is the vet I use: http://www.vcahospitals.com/old-marple/our-hospital.html

Good luck.

That vet is 7 hours away from me... I am going to call Camboro as that is the only vet close by that does small animals (that I know of, anyway). However it has a separate number listed and if they're not open at that location I don't know what I'm going to do. I have to work all week an hour from home, so I don't have regular hours to go to them.

Goopy eye is the sign of several things. It can be an upper respiratory infection or an eye infection. You will need to see a vet ASAP

You need to get to get to the vet asap. I would not use the medication the previous owners gave you.

Back