Cleaning wood-without baking it?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
Hi everyone, I have some pre purchased wood ledges with hardware on them and I am wondering if I can clean with with something and not bake them. Some have some urine and such on it. what does everyone use to clean the wood?

You can use sandpaper to get the urine stain off and some vinegar. If it is all natural though as in straight from the tree there should be something more done to them, but if its used the sand paper and vinegar should do the trick. Some might microwave it but I am not sure how long and all those details.

I use hydrogen peroxide in the 3% solution that you can buy from drug stores. I pour or spray some on the stains, let it sit for about five minutes and then rinse off with water. Works wonders! Just make sure your chinchillas are not in the cage when you use the HP.

There's lots of other uses for HP as well.

http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/hydrogen_peroxide.html

You wouldn't want to microwave it if it has the hardware in it, though. ;)

I like using hydrogen peroxide. It has gotten urine stains up better on the wood I use than vinegar. Just pour it on, give it a minute or two to work, then wipe it up and let dry.

Back