Chinnie Limp

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meemxes

I came home this morning from work and my poor chin is limping. I have no idea what happened!!!! She's usually so active and full of energy but now she's limping. I cannot tell if it is the front or back paw and there is no swelling or dragging going on. I have all wooden shelves in the cage and no metal wiring too. I physically cannot take her to a vet anytime soon. The roads are solid ice here and it took me three hours to get home when I usually get home in 15 minutes! I almost didn't make it home this morning! The weather is so bad here. Any suggestions? What should I do in the meantime?

As someone who has dealt with a chinchilla with a broken pelvis, this would be my advice: Put her in a small cage, even a cat carrier will do (as long as she doesn't chew the plastic). If you can't do that, take all the shelves out of her cage. In short, restrict her movement until you can get her to the vet.

How is she limping? Is she favoring a leg or what? Can you take a video of it possibly?

Can you load the video to youtube or photobucket? You can just supply the link on your post.

hmmm. She's so skittish that I cannot get a good clip of it. It doesn't seem like it is her hind legs but her front paw. She cannot hold a rose hip. She seems to use her back legs just fine.

Okay. Do you have a cat carrier or other small cage you can put her in? If you don't, at least remove all the ledges from her cage. If she has a wheel, remove that too. She should not be jumping at all until you know what is wrong.

I moved her into a smaller cage and now she seems angry and frustrated. She is overworking herself and her paws are warm :( Do I just keep her in there and let her calm down. My other chinnie is all stressed out too and biting at the bars to try to get to my little one. Ahhh this is making me so upset! Thanks for responding to me by the way. Your input certainly helps

Put her somewhere cool and dark and just leave her alone, let her calm down. Don't give her any attention when she throws her fits, that will just make it worse. You have to ignore her. I know it's hard - trust me - but it's all that you can do.

Went to the vet the next day. Nothing is broken!! We have her on some anti-inflammatory meds and it seems to be working. The other day when I went to close her little cage she stuck her paw out and got it closed in!!! She can still hold food and walk well but I just worry about her so much! Should I take her back to the vet!?!?

Not the same paw. The other one. She seems to be ok, but we keep a close eye on her. Sometimes she holds it close to her body but then uses it to hold objects and paw her at the cage to be let out.

Back