Chinchillas & Cats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybee

I have my chinchillas in my house, not in a sparate out building. I was told by
someone that raised them years ago, that if you had chinchillas you could not have cats beause the cat dander affects the health of the chinchilla.

Can anyone tell me if this is true, as I'm wanting to get a pedigree long-haired cat??

There are lots of people on this forum with both cats and chinchillas. I think the biggest danger I've heard of thus far is the cats scratching the chins and injuring them. Pet dander though? :hmmm:

I have two cats and one chinchilla, I just dont let the cats into the room where he is. So they never have any contact.

Cats carry a bacteria in their saliva called pasteurella. If the chin should contract this from the cat, it can be deadly.

I have seen numerous stories of a cat reaching through a cage, under a door, etc. and scratching a chin. The bacteria can also be present on the cat's paw (scratching in a litter box), and the bacteria can be passed on to the chin through the scratch. Not to mention the scratch alone can really hurt the chin.

I have also heard of a story of chins contracting Bordatella from a cat. It killed many (if not all?) of them.

As long as you keep them separated and do not allow them to interact, you shouldn't have a problem. I have never heard about cat dander affecting chins.

Stackie listed all the main concerns. Many of us have a cat and chinchillas. Just don't allow them to interact

Latest posts

Back