Chinchilla seems scared?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whiskers387

How should i make my chinchilla so she is comfortable when i carry her to another room for playtime?

When did you get your chinchilla? You'll probably want her to adjust for a few days before taking her out of her cage to play. I just got a chinchilla last Friday, and he doesn't like to be picked up but he'll go into his dust bath, so I'd just put that in her cage and carry her to the other room in it if it's possible to keep her in there. She'll probably calm down once she gets used to her routine.

You can also hold the chin close to your body and keep a hold of the base of the chin's tale. make sure all four feet are supported by either you other hand or your body. On some of my more skittish chins, I also cover their eyes.

don't just take her out of her cage, let her come out to you. If you reach into her home, she'd get scared...if someone reached into your home and took you out, you'd get scared too =D

Try to make her feel secure, holding at the base of the tail and supporting her feet and close like above- I also tend to talk a bit and let my chin hide his head in the crook of my arm. I think just let her know you aren't going to eat her or let anything else eat her!

as long as she's snuggled into you and she thinks she's hiding she'll be fine. I always talk softly to mine so that they know everything is okay and that its just their 'mommy' that has them.

Snuggle her close to your chest as "cherlslittleangels" says. As, well, start her getting
into the scale, (get one if you don't have one) give her a little treat (something
healthy) while you weight her. That's something you want her to learn early--so she
won't be afraid and will sit still. Talking sweet to her and telling her "good girl" will work
great. Know how she likes to be held. My one chin likes to be held over my shoulder and
the other two like to be held across the chest and (gently but firmly). You're doing a
great job--P.S.

Latest posts

Back