Chin Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdebb

I didn't want to start a new thread on a chin cage but the other one I asked a question on (that someone else started) was done being answered, so here is my question.

I already have one of these (ferret cage) (and i'll post the link) for Christy. ANd found one on craigslist for 40bucks, which is a decent price. Know I now chins prefer height over lenght, and the cage No-No is in is about 30 long, about 30 high and maybe 18 in dim. So do you guys think i should get this and switch No-No's cage. Remember I can't go out and buy one brand new cuz I'm not working, but I can swing $40 bucks. Even though I know they prefer height over width, in my mind I feel like even though it's tall, it's not long enough to put all the toys in it that I want, but i guess for one chin, they only need one hut, and there's always room for chew sticks and a hammock cuz they hang from the top. And I'm sure the wheel from Quality Cage will fit.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. Oh and if you can please answer this today, because if I am going to get this cage, the lady wants me to come tonight.

Oh and even though the bottom is plastic, I do know to take out all the plastic shelves and replace them with pine ones. Thanks to all who answer.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753322

Jean

Ps here is a picture of how i set up Christy's cage, hope you can view it well.

Christycage.jpg

Last edited:
I have never used that cage but I had one dropped off with a rescue, the thing was flimsyier than anything. You will need to add clamps to all the sides amd a clip to the door, if it is anything like the one I had here. The plastic base should be fine if you watch it closely

Jean, I responded to your pm, I apologize for missing it.

I would go ahead with the bigger cage. I never had an issue with plastic bottoms (or shelves for that matter), but be sure to have zip ties on hand just in case your chin is a chewer who likes to go through those plastic clips. You can also add the zip ties to make it a sturdier cage.

The other thing that can be a pain, and I forgotto mention this, is that the cage sits IN the pan. It can be a pain if you have to wipe down the pan. It never bothered me, I just shop vacced and then used white vinegar and water to wipe it down, but some people really hate the drop in cages.

I think No-No's cage is an adequate size but if you like this ferret cage and it is in good shape and is only 40.00 and you can afford it, it might not be a bad idea to have a back-up. You are planning on getting some additional chins if I remember correctly so you can probably always use a back-up.

I have never used that cage but I had one dropped off with a rescue, the thing was flimsyier than anything. You will need to add clamps to all the sides amd a clip to the door, if it is anything like the one I had here. The plastic base should be fine if you watch it closely

No offense to you at all star, but like I said I do have Christy in that cage, and it works fine for me, maybe you got a bad one. I don't know. It's not flimsy, and stays together. Maybe if i put that huge quality wheel in there I might have a problem, but other than that, the one for Christy is just fine. It holds together, doesn't fall apart with the other wheel I have (got from Carise-- nice wheel-- but they sit on it and poop and then the wheel doesn't work until I clean it --so i would rather use the quality cage wheel, even though i know it's bigger and heavier. If that was too heavy, i'll have to let her out more often for exercise.

Thanks for your input though, and I really don't mean to offend you if I did, just want to say what i said..
Jean,

Jean, I responded to your pm, I apologize for missing it.

I would go ahead with the bigger cage. I never had an issue with plastic bottoms (or shelves for that matter), but be sure to have zip ties on hand just in case your chin is a chewer who likes to go through those plastic clips. You can also add the zip ties to make it a sturdier cage.

The other thing that can be a pain, and I forgotto mention this, is that the cage sits IN the pan. It can be a pain if you have to wipe down the pan. It never bothered me, I just shop vacced and then used white vinegar and water to wipe it down, but some people really hate the drop in cages.

Yah i just pm'd you back after i posted this, sorry.

But yah i know the bar part sits on top of the pastic bottom and I don't have a problem with taking the the top off and cleaning it. I wish i could afford another quality cage but for now I can't and I feel horrible that No-No (noel) is in such a short cage. Even though she has a wheel for exercise and I take her out, I know they like height, but when I think it was you that mentioned that sometimes they can get hurt if the cage is too high, I was asking to make sure you didn't think this cage is too tall. Thanks again for answering me, it is much appreciated.

Yah i have a shop vac too and started to vacum the bottoms because I'm moving to fleece liners (my mom is making them for me-- :) ) and so it is easier to keep clean from the poop, hay and pellets they take out of their bowls and leave all over the floor. Messy pigs, lol. No i love them. Just tired of all the poop.. lol I swear they have throughing poop parties when I'm not in the room. lol

Jean

I think No-No's cage is an adequate size but if you like this ferret cage and it is in good shape and is only 40.00 and you can afford it, it might not be a bad idea to have a back-up. You are planning on getting some additional chins if I remember correctly so you can probably always use a back-up.

Yes at that price, it is also good to have back-ups cuz your memory is good and eventually if i ever make it back to work, i do want more so I can hobby breed. I was gonna sell some of my smaller cages, but then I thought exactly what you just said.

Jean

Latest posts

Back