Can a grape wreath make a chin sick?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleychin

Saturday night I gave all my chins all a grape wreath as a treat.Sunday night Finley had very soft poo.I havn't given grape wreaths in a long time so I thought it may have upset his system so I gave him shredded wheat to try and help him.He still had loose poo Tuesday night so I took him to the vet yesterday.I brought in poo samples on all my boys and we got fresh ones from Finley.The vet thought it it looked like parasites and we started panacur and propulsid.Well the labs just came back negative.
So could it be the wreath after all?Has anyone had something like this happen to them?

My chins have never had any problems with grape wreaths, although I suppose there could have been parasites on them? I don't know, really.

Things other than parasites can cause loose poop -- stress, a slight variation in feed formula, or sometimes just a weather change.

As far as the grape vine wreath, I would think it would only be a problem if it came from a questionable place where it might have been exposed to something, or if it's not all natural and has some kind of coating on it.

Pull all his pellets, give nothing but lots of good quality hay and fresh water. Try lightly dampening a shredded wheat and rolling it in activated charcoal or get some kaolin pectin and try that. I would also give him some acidophilus to try and get his gut rebalanced. If all that doesn't work, then I would send in another stool sample and see if anything shows up now.

Describe the poop please, disgusting as that sounds. Is it just wet? Is it slimy? Does it almost look like a chain?

His poo is very soft,wet and some brown mucas.But no pearl necklace chains.
My supplier is used by several people here.I'm pretty sure their reliable.

This guy is tough to work with,He wont eat lifeline,pumpkin or CC.If I sprinkle anything on a shreddie or his pellets he won't eat it.The only acidophilus he'll take is that fruit flavored children type from Wholefood and I'm afraid to give him any right now because of the sugar in it.

Latest posts

Back