Cage designers needed!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaeway

Scurries!!!
I'm not sure if I should put this here or not, so I won't be suprised if it's moved. Sorry!!!:unsure:

I am trying to come up with a neat way to redo my furballs' cages. I want something that they will love, you know, take out most of the wire shelves and put in the wooden ones, extra fleece, some bridges and so on, but alas I'm not that good at cage design. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share some tips or even show some pics of the cages you have for your furballs...

Main: I have a 5ft x 3ft x 2ft cage for the big boys. It has a full wire shelf in the middle and two wire ledges on the back sides, one on the top and one on the bottom. I'd like to remove some of the wire and put in muliple layers wood shelving in, but I don't know how I would set it up to ensure the safety of my boys... I am thinking I'll line the middle floor with fleece, but after that I don't know. I have a very generic pics of the first day I got the new cage. I've already removed the half shelf in front on top.

I would appricate anything, advice, drawings and especially other cages photos! Thanks

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 70
  • full.jpg
    full.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 81
  • top half.jpg
    top half.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 63
I'm not a cage "designer", but am more than happy to post pics for you

Here's the cage I built
DSC00523.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

Bottom
DSC00522.jpg

I LOVE your homemade cage!!! I wanted to build one for my boys too, but I don't have the important things like a saw or yard to build it in. That really helps thank you!

I LOVE your homemade cage!!! I wanted to build one for my boys too, but I don't have the important things like a saw or yard to build it in.
LOL, same here. I called my dad the other day and asked if he'd help me with a project over summer. So looks like we're building a nice big (melamine) cage on wheels at my parent's house over summer. I can't wait!! I've wanted one for so long. :D

My inspiration for the melamine cage was from mistywaterwoman posting her cage on CnQ, and Carol~Anne posting on here. :thumbsup:

Here's another example of a melamine cage I made.
customchinchillacage1.jpg

customchinchillacage3.jpg

Here's another example of a melamine cage I made.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out: How do you attach the mesh/wire on the door so that the chins don't get poked or chew at staples from stapling it down? :thinking:

use a router then staple the wire just inside the inset.

I've been using staples on flat wood for years and never had one come loose, let alone get pulled out, as long as they're tight!

How is the air circulation in that kind of cage? Do you worry about them over heating? It looks great and I'd bet it's nice and easy to clean, plus no pee on the walls...

I LOVE your homemade cage!!! I wanted to build one for my boys too, but I don't have the important things like a saw or yard to build it in. That really helps thank you!

Actually I purchased a hand saw & miter box at Lowes for $15 to cut the small pieces (for the doors)...had them cut the big wood in the store (just tell them what sizes you need cut) and I built mine right in my kitchen ;)

Latest posts

Back