Breeders who use Mazuri

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silkrheinchins

Ok guys Mazuri Marketing Rep contacted me asking for my help to see if I can furnish him with a few breeders who use Mazuri. He would like to contact these breeders and ask them some questions concerning the performance of Mazuri. So, if you would be interested in telling him how Mazuri's working for you, let me know. I told him I'd see if I can get a few people that would be interested.
Thanks

I used Mazuri with Calfmanna on recommendation from a breeder in Urbana, [since out] when I first got heavy into chins, 7-8 yrs. ago.
When the prices kept rising at the local feed store, I figured there was something just as good, out there, at more reasonable prices.
I think it was Kate in Texas, recommended PANR which I found in Indiana, but was 25 miles 1-way. ALL my chins put on 10-15% in weight, and seemed more active, immediatly!
Since have gone to Tradition, [can get it closer] and they all kept the size they were.
I guess that would be a negative response to the Rep., but since the Mazuri was over twice as much as both PANR and Tradition, it wasn't economically feasable, nor as healthy, for my herd.

I used Mazuri from the time I got into chins (2003) until last year. I recently switched to PANR and I honestly will say I think my chins are doing better on it. Plus 25lbs of Mazuri is the same price as 50lb of PANR...

ETA: I have heard of other breeders using Mazuri though! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I used Mazuri for about 3 years, did not like it, and am now on PANR.

i switched from Mazuri to Tradition also.. and seen the same results, weight gain, eating and drinking twice as much, and a lot more active...
Sorry i couldnt be of more help

I switched a few years ago when I kept losing babies..... Haven't had the problem since. I have seen people complain of size and soft poos still...

I used it when I first got into chins. I switched off of it when one particular line showed problems with it. The other chins seemed to do okay on it.

I have just been informed by my vet. that Mazuri pellets are the main cause of my boy's bladder stones. I personally would not reccomend any alfalfa based pellet to anyone for long term use. Or else you could end up with some bladder stones! I will be switching pellets A.S.A.P.

I used Mazuri from the time I started owning several chins, up until about a year, maybe year & half ago. I switched because I found a local dealer for Tradition at about half the price. I had no problems or issues with Mazuri, but I did notice everyone gained weight with the switch to Tradition, and kept the weight on. For the past year I've fed 50/50 mix of Tradition & Manna Pro Sho, and been very happy with it.

Recently - because of folks wanting to buy Mazuri thru my online store and thru me personally, I've been buying it from a local feed store. Since I dont sell the full bag (sometimes not even half of it) I've started mixing it in with our Tradition/Manna Sho feeds. Nobody's had poo issues, or any issues at all come to think of it.

But to be honest, the only reason I'm using it, is because I cant sell it all before it'd go stale. I hate to toss it out when its decent feed, but if it wasnt for customer requests, I wouldnt buy Mazuri. I see no point in paying $15 for a 25lb bag, when I can get comparible quality from other brands in 50lb bags for the same price.

- and to chachilla - almost ALL chinchilla food is alfalfa based. You need to be sure you are feeding timothy hay available 24/7 to your chin. This will even out the small amount of alfalfa he eats in his pellets.
~Barb~

Back