Behemoth poos?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xpokey77x

as anyone's chin ever just have giant poos one day? My little girl was spayed 2 weeks ago and was recently weaned off of syringe feeding CC. Her poos were really small right after surgery and have been getting larger, but not quite to their previous size. All of a sudden today I looked in on her and there are gigantic poos in her cage! Like 5-6x as big as the ones she has been having lately and at least 2x as big as I have every seen from her. Is this weird? They are a normal color and a very even texture. Not too soft or wet but not dry. Diameter is similar to her pre-surgery poos. If not for the size I would say they are perfect. :) They're almost the size of a jelly belly, if that's not too gross of a comparison, just a bit thinner. Is this anything for concern or should I just assume she's having a rather active digestive day? Hopefully as fellow chin owners you guys aren't grossed out by this.:) Thanks!

I'm no poo expert, but I imagine that as long as they're good/normal consistency, shape, etc, she's probably fine! Our little guy Kenai has really long (but otherwise completely normal) poos when he's out for playtime sometimes. It's normal for them to vary, and bigger is usually better!

I would think if she's beginning to eat normal chinnie food again, her poos will reflect that. I'm sure she's okay. I strive to make sure my chinnies's poos are as large as possible. That tells me they are getting enough fiber.

She may have a bit of gas;I think some simethecone would probably be a good idea, as her belly is adjusting from critical care back to pellets. Is she getting acidophilus as well?

One of my boys had these "monster" poos once when I introduced a new treat. I kept on eye on him and it was only pellets and hay after that, it lasted for half of day.

could she possibly be eating better since she's off CC, if so that would explain it too. the more they eat, the bigger the pooh.

Jean

not sure what was going on. Gigantic poos only lasted for a day, now they are big but not huge. I was giving her metaclopramide but stopped the day of the gigantic poos. She lost a lot of weight after that big pooping day but I'm kind of doubting that was the reason. She is eating pellets and hay and drinking water. I got some lifeline to try to encourage her to eat but hopefully she will start putting on some weight. Could fur chewing be related? I believe she may have started recently due to some suspicious patches on her haunches.

It could be that the metoclopramide was what caused the large poos. That would explain why it stopped after you quit giving it to her.

Back