Back to the Oxbow/Mazuri issue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
I am currently feeding my boys Mazuri with a little PANR mixed in. I want to switch them to Oxbow. Which Oxbow do i buy AND when I switch them do I also switch their hay? Oxbow isnt Timothy based is it?? I forget. sorry if this has been addressed a million times. I want to buy a small trial bag to see how they do and then see if I can find a source like the feed store where I get the Mazuri to get the Oxbow. thanks.

Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe. It is an alfalfa based pellet. You don't have to switch their hay, but do give them plenty of hay during the food switch.

you know kristy, that is a good question! i think all the talk about the high protein got me started on thinking of switching. plus when i opened a new fresh bag of mazuri from the feed store my one boy starting having poo issues but that was also the same time as i temporarily moved his cage. i also like to give them a little variety. so i might get a bag of the oxbox and mix it in and see what happens. i wasnt going to stop with the PANR, they really seem to like that.

My chins are on Mazuri right now. But I hear alot about PANR being cheaper and less proteins than Mazuri. And how some chins get poo problems on Mazuri...but mine doesn't have these problems so I don't think i'll be changing over.

Does soft poo just suddenly starts occuring?

Can you switch to just all PANR? Willow does great on it. I tried Oxbow for a while and she does just as good on it as PANR.

Oxbow is alfalfa-based so I think it's higher protein than most other pellets. You don't have to switch to Oxbow hay as well, you can just carry on with the hay you've been giving. However my chin absolutely adores Oxbow hay, you can tell the difference from most other brands as soon as you open the bag, it smells really fresh and sweet. I've struggled to find any shops that sell Oxbow though. I have to order it off the internet but that might just be because I'm in the UK =)
Good luck with it if you do switch.

When I began, [10 yrs. ago] I was using a Mizuri/Calfmanna mix, per a breeder in Bloomington, Il. I bought a few chins from, and it seemed to be alright.
After a couple of years, [and a natural increase in chins] the prices started going up every week at the local feed store, and he'd often run out, leaving me runnung around, or borrowing from another local breeder!
We just got online capability, and somehow got ahold of Amanda in Texas, who told me about PANR, but it was about 30 miles, one way! Since the price was less than 1/2 what I was paying for Mizuri, and the other breeder was willing to split the gas, I got 10 bags!
During the switch, I noticed the old combination was being "dumped" in favor of the PANR, and was a little concerned about their poop almost doubling in size, but the concern diminished when the whole herd put on a 25-30% weight gain, and just seemed more energetic!
Also tried Tradition, which was about the same price, but they didn't keep the weight on, so went back.
Have since started adding LifeLine as a supplement, and have a herd of happy chins!!

you know kristy, that is a good question! i think all the talk about the high protein got me started on thinking of switching. plus when i opened a new fresh bag of mazuri from the feed store my one boy starting having poo issues but that was also the same time as i temporarily moved his cage. i also like to give them a little variety. so i might get a bag of the oxbox and mix it in and see what happens. i wasnt going to stop with the PANR, they really seem to like that.

3 of my chins had diarrhea eating Mazuri (so I had to cut back on pellets from 2 TBS to about 1) and I really don't like the GMO soy they use (confirmed by their own nutritionist when I asked them about it). I just lost my ^Chloe^ to cancer in her digestive tract and suspect GMO ingredients may have played a role. After years of Mazuri I am going to switch to Oxbow. I live near where Oxbow is located and am impressed with the quality and the caring people there. I hope they come out with an organic chin food soon....they already have organic rabbit and guinea pig foods. Oxbow hay is the best there is and I'm so glad they now carry it at PetSmart.

Back