Advice on eating changes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
Ive moved my boys around a few times over the last few months. Some got new "room mates" and their cage location changed a bit.

Zucca kinda stopped eating his pellets with the intensity of which he previous ate. I attributed it to the constant bickering between the cages.

A couple of the boys dropped weight because of the change, all but zucca have seem to regained.

He still eats a lot of hay, but hardly any pellets. I noticed a decent weigh loss......fluctuating between 40 - 60 grams. Last night i think he weighed 655A couple weeks ago I started making a pellet mush......crushed pellets, Essentials for life, lifeline & a small amount of baby food squash for consistency. THIS he eats. i give him 2 scoops. He still eats his hay. I mostly give timothy, but some nights I mix in alfalfa or botanical.....all Oxbow. I did hear him munching on pellets the other night, but not much.

His weight seems to be on the very slow upswing.

Should I stop the mush mix?? I am thinking maybe a vet visit is needed?? he doesnt like to be handled too much but maybe he is having difficulty using his teeth and I dont want to ignore that?? there are NO other indicators; no pawing, grinding or drooling. And he is way too "nervous" to allow me to really open his mouth. he has never been much a of a wood chewer, and is the only chin that doesnt like the oat based chin cookies, nor does he seem to like any of the hard treats likes the hibiscus flowers.

looking for advice from some chin owners that may have experienced something like this???

Last edited:
I think you might be right. If the chin keeps losing weight a vet visit is usually called for. Problem is I got an email from Janice (Dr. Goode) and she has been sick in bed so I would call ahead to see when she should be coming in

Has Zucca ever had his mouth checked? If not, what you are describing would make me take him to the vet for an exam.

Back