A New Sound???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MyFuzzies

My little BV, Remi, is very high strung and energetic. Last night after I put him back in his cage (after a 4-hour playtime) he did his usual pacing around for about 15 minutes then laid down. I turned all the lights off and was watching TV and I heard this sound....it was a high pitched squeal and kinda sounded like a kitten crying. I jumped up and turned the light on and went to his cage to investigate. He seemed fine...I picked him up and looked him over thoroughly and saw no signs of injury or discomfort as I felt around, so I put him back in his cage. We repeated this about 4 times and he finally stopped.

I don't think he's hurt because this morning when I woke up, every time I'd get up off the couch and walk by his cage, he'd start popcorning...guess he thought I was going to let him out LOL. Of course I thought it was both cute & funny so I sat down on the couch, waited a few minutes, then got back up again and was walking toward his cage and he started popcorning again :laughitup:

Anyway, I have no idea what this sound means. Has anyone else ever heard it from their chin(s)?? Remi acts a little strange sometimes so it could just be one of his wierd ways of communicating. Any input would be appreciated!

Funny thing is that i heard my bv do this for the first time the other night. It was a short sound but high pitched and was like a kitten... checked her out but NEVEr figured out what it meant. I think it is PAY ATTENTION TO ME. haha

I've heard it before out of one of mine. Sort of a high pitched whine or yell. or like a cow mooing after a big hit of helium maybe?

If im on the right track, the only time I've heard it was immeadiatly after a fall or stubbed toe. Never a serious injury.

That's kinda what I was thinking/hoping....that he just wanted attention. What better way to get it than make a God awful squeal...I bet he was laughing at me too LOL.

He's just training you! Now that he know he gets attention with that noise, you'll hear it more often! All that "popcorning" was him celebrating at a responce, like "oooh, that worked good, gotta remember that one"!

One of my chins also does this every once in a while. He too is very high strung. Usually I'll hear him bouncing around the cage, followed by that noise. The first half dozen times I heard it I thought he had hurt himself. Made me really nervous. It only started after we separated him from his cage mate cuz he kept pulling his friends fur out. I wonder if he misses him...

He's just training you! Now that he know he gets attention with that noise, you'll hear it more often! All that "popcorning" was him celebrating at a responce, like "oooh, that worked good, gotta remember that one"!

:rofl: Yup you got that right!! Sly little buggar he is...thinking every time he squeals I'll come running...DARN IT, he DOES have me trained :impatient:

this makes me feel so much better!
my kiefer did that last night
and i was trying to figure out
what was wrong, or what it ment

maybe he was just looking for attention too
hahahaha sighh

Evie is the only chin I have that does it, it sounds to me like someone stepped on a squeaky dog toy. :laughitup: She definitely used to do it for attention.

I just assumed it was a "baby" thing, since she's the first chin I got as a kit, my other girls were all 6+ months when I got them.

Now that Evie is over a year, she has pretty much stopped doing it at all.

Oh my goodness!!!!!!! Remi is driving me totally crazy with his "new" noise :hair: He has fully taken advantage of my initial worries about this noise he makes and turned it into a little game...to his benefit of course <<brat>>. I have been sleeping downstairs on the couch, just to kinda hang out with them (my sons are at their Dad's for a few days). Last night I decided to sleep upstairs in my room. Well, my sweet little Remi let out this blood curdling squeal (much worse than the original squeal I posted about). It souned like someone was trying to kill him!! I ran down the steps as fast as I could without breaking my neck and there he was sitting right by the door on his cage just waiting for me.

I think he has all of furry babies laughing their fuzzy little butts off at me :neener: I just have to start ignoring him when he makes this noise, but it's such an aweful sound, like he's in agonizing pain :(. Oh well, all jokes on me now...just thought I'd share.

My Stitch made that same kitten sound last night! I jumped up at 3 am, cause I wasnt sure if it was one of the chins or my dog or if a kitten was stuck in my garage! I did give him a new chew block last night so maybe it fell or something? My other chin doesnt make half the noise of my Stitch. And when I checked on him Stitch was sitting up on his ledge by the front of the cage & Richie was in his bed "sleeping". Go Figure.

My Stitch made that same kitten sound last night! I jumped up at 3 am, cause I wasnt sure if it was one of the chins or my dog or if a kitten was stuck in my garage! I did give him a new chew block last night so maybe it fell or something? My other chin doesnt make half the noise of my Stitch. And when I checked on him Stitch was sitting up on his ledge by the front of the cage & Richie was in his bed "sleeping". Go Figure.

Ahhh little Stitch is pulling one over on you too :laughitup:

Back