A few questions for the expierenced chinchilla owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chinlover416

Hi, I am new, and will be owning a chinchilla soon. I have a few questions for the people that know about chinchillas. 1) Can I feed them raisens? I read somewhere that cheerios were ok too. I've heard a little about bloat, and don't want to fight that battle. 2) Do I really need a cage that is ALL wire? I can't seem to find a cage that isn't taller than i am(5'6) and still all wire. Would it be ok if the bottom of the cage was plastic? 3) I am wanting to get into breeding chins. How big of a cage will I need, for the mom, dad, and kits? Can I keep the mom, dad, and babies all together? I REALLY love the violet colors, and the mosaics. What would be the best colors for the mom and dad to be, to get those color kits? How long is a chin pregnancy? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Kristin

1) I don't feed raisins. They have too much sugar, and grapes have been found to be toxic in several species, so I just avoid it for better, safer treats. Bite sized shredded wheat (non-sugared), the occasional cheerio, dried rosehips, and chin safe wood chews, which are a treat and work to keep their teeth worn down.

2) Do you WANT a cage that is taller than 5 feet 6 inches? Or are you looking for one that is less? The only cages I know that are that tall are of the super pet type (wide wire spacing, plastic bottoms) and those are fine, but not for babies and pregnant moms.

3) It's my opinion that you don't just have a violet producing pair. You need many animals in order to produce a quality chinchilla when breeding mutations, especially violets, and they all need to start with your standards. It's going to be the same with whites. To get good quality whites, you need a good quality standard to put them with.

4) You don't even own a chin yet - so you are unfamliar with it's care, it's housing requirements, even genetics. You need to do a lot of reading before you jump into breeding. Start reading through all the FAQ's in the chin breeding and baby section. Actually, it would be a good idea to read through ALL the FAQ's about chins before you buy, and definitely before you breed.

A few questions:
What is the gestation of chinchillas?
What is the lethal factor?
What is a "carrier", as in, violet carrier, sapphire carrier, eb carrier?
What is the average litter size for kits?
What is the weight considered safe for breeding for mom?
Where do you purchase chins for breeding?
What is a pedigree?
What do you do if mom can't support the kits?
What is considered a "baby safe" cage?
What is malocclusion and how is it passed on?
Do you have an emergency vet and at least $500.00 in the bank in case the need for a C-section arises?

Those are just a few of the questions you should have answers to before breeding, and it really wouldn't hurt to own a chin before you start making plans for breeding. There is a lot to learn. We're glad to help you, but you'll really find a lot on your own by reading those FAQ's.

In my area you need over $2,000 for care of a female chin that has to have a C-section done (and spayed after) - 2 Years ago I paid $2,300 for a female whose pregnancy went bad - She went into labor and could not deliver. The kits turned out to be premature and this was her first litter. So when all was said and done I had, Thank God, my female but no kits and no hope of having any kits from her. Also I had to hand feed her for 2 weeks because she became VERY depressed and would not eat on her own Oh the fun of breeding !!!!

WOW!!! That is alot to take in. I don't want a big cage. Nothing over 2 feet tall. I think that i'll just keep pets for now. Where can i find a cage in TN that is appropriate for 1-2 chins, but still meets their needs?

WOW!!! That is alot to take in. I don't want a big cage. Nothing over 2 feet tall. I think that i'll just keep pets for now. Where can i find a cage in TN that is appropriate for 1-2 chins, but still meets their needs?

Chinchilla info is a lot to take in, isn't it? Just keep reading and doing your research and you'll be fine. As far as cages go, I personally love the Ferret Nation. With a few modifications, it's a great, sturdy cage. You can add levels later, it's easy to clean, it's awesome. Most of us order stuff but if you go to a local Petsmart you might be able to pick up the FN, I believe they are on sale right now but don't quote me on that.

Online, the best place right now is here: http://www.kennelvet.com/ferret-cages-ferret-nation-habitats-c-1786_149_924.html
A 1-Level would be perfect for 1 chin but I would say if you get a pair (I have 2 brothers) go with the 2-level, you won't regret it! Hope that helps! :D

And welcome btw!

There are quite a few places to look for cages. Both Martin and Quality Cages sell wire ones. You could build your own cage (do a search and you will find plenty of homemade cages and pictures). Also try looking on craigslist and you might find something there that works. That is where I found our Ferret Nation cages.

Welcome! I agree with kaykay on the ferret nation. I love that cage and it really is great for chins. Plus, it separates so you can have 2 cages, and that means, 2 chins! Lol.

Where in TN are you located?

ETA: I see in another post that you are in Knoxville. Here is a large cage in Johnson City you may be interested in, if it's still available and if you can pick it up: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2308.

I would also suggest that if you are interested in breeding, come to the show in the fall in South Carolina. It is usually in Rock Hill in November (around Thanksgiving). You can pick up a lot of valuable information at a chin show, whether you breed or not.

Last edited:

IMO, I wouldn't get anything shorter than 2 feet, especially for 2 chins. Chins are natural jumpers and love to have more height to play around in. We also have the two-level Ferret Nation and love it - tons of space but separable if needed. As mentioned, I would definitely recommend reading through all the FAQs on here- they're full of great info and since you're doing the research ahead of time, will probably end up saving you money, as you won't end up buying things they don't need/can't have. Good luck!

1) I don't feed raisins, before I learned a lot about chins I used to give them weekly but after dealing with GI issues and squishy poo, I stopped that. I feed cheerios, LOTS of wood chews, and alfalfa chews for treats.
2) I don't recommend having any plastic on the cage as chins are notorious for being chewers. I started out with a plastic bottom cage and ended up replacing it shortly after I got it because they chewed a hole in it. I'd start off ahead and get a wire one. I highly recommend a quality cage. A tall cage is necessary because chins love to jump and need space (especially for 2) a 2 foot tall cage is the minimum.
3) I have chinchillas for about 10 years and haven't even considered breeding because even after 10 years I know I don't have the experience, money, or time to get into breeding. There is a lot of things to consider before breeding and for a new chin owner I highly recommend having a chin before even beginning to think about breeding.

In addition, enjoy your new chin! Chins are wonderful pets to have and the more you can get to know the more you can enjoy them!

Back