Another soft poo question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolunteerChin22

I <3 dustbunnies
So out of nowhere one of my chins has soft poos - food hadn't changed (I feed panr) and I bought the same hay I always buy (bag of Oxbow from the store). None of my other chins nor the chin in the same cage have soft poos, just him. I just read some of the other threads and have been giving him shreddies (I usually give one every other day anyways but consistently giving them to him now) for the last two days. So tonight I burnt some toast - lightly black on the top and gave him a piece about as big as my thumbnail. Is this enough? How long should I try the toast if things don't improve? I am confused about what could be causing this since no one else has soft poos...they are brown and just soft - no smell....

Every once in awhile this used to happen to Bobo when I fed Mazuri. What I would do is pull pellets and feed nothing but hay for about 4 days. Her poos always returned to normal poos. I now feed Nutrena Rabbit and haven't noticed this problem, but when it occurred in the past just hay and water always did the trick.

Any other help? I didn't really get my questions answered - 1) how long and how much burnt toast do you give normally and 2) how long should I try hay/water/toast before I need to go to the vet...

I usually pull pellets for a couple days and you can give the burned toast and/or shredded wheat every couple hours. The burned toast is usually a 1 x 1 square.

Activated charcoal works really well and faster if you can get some of that.

Oh, and the toast is not "lightly black." It's burned until you don't recognize it as bread anymore. Realllly make your house smell like nastiness black.

How soft is the diarrehea? is it running out or just kinda smooshed on the shelf. That little bit of burnt toast should be enough. I use activated charcoal and it doesn't usually take much.

Keep your chinnie on hay and water for a day or two, unless the loose poops get worse. If he is pooping normally by tommorow then no need to see the vet. A short incident of diarrhea is usually nothing. I would say if it hasn't cleared up by morning try the toast again.

As for the vet visit if the poop is dripping out I would go by tommorow morning if it doesn't clear up. If it is just a little squishy then wait a day or two on the Hay and water and see.

You may want to get activated charcoal it works much faster than the burnt toast. I know Dawnna sells it at chocolatechinchillas.com one of those things to keep on hand IMPO

I noticed it smooshed on the shelves, not running out - lightly squishy - like a warm chocolate chip - still in it's form. K i will burn another piece more - is activated charcol sold at like drugstores too?

I think health food stores carry activated charcoal, but I'd call around locally and see. That way, you're not running all over town looking for it. :)

Latest posts

Back