Cookie recipes!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CerLynn

I don't want to take away from Riven's offer for chin cookies, but for those of us who enjoy baking our own chin treats, I thought we could share our recipies and make a "recipe book" of sorts.

This is the one I use (full credit to Carol (eroomlorac), who had this previously posted on CnQ):

-mix together oat flour, pumpkin and blackstrap molasses for the base (no exact measurements here, just add whatever you need until you have a good cookie dough consistency)
-mix in chin-safe "treats" such as rolled oats, flax seed, etc.
-form small flat cookies and bake at 200-225 until completely dry (I usually leave mine for 1hr+)

If you want to make it even more fun, you can roll out the dough and use micro-sized cookie cutters! I found some adorable ones on ebay - just search "micro cookie cutter".

I love this idea! Does anyone else have recipes? I got some cookies from Heidi awhile back, but since she's no longer around and my wife loves to bake...

I may have to try this. Has anyone tried mixing in the hay "dust" from the bottom of the box? I'm just wondering if hay would be too dry and cause it to burn.

Cool thread! I have not baked for the chinnies yet and would love to try.

Does Blackstrap molasses have to be used? or can just any molasses work? I'm having a hard time finding blackstarp molasses in my area.

To my knowledge, blackstrap is the best kind of molasses for animal (including human) consumption - I don't quite remember the details, but it is the most nutritious form, containing decent amounts of vitamins and minerals... something to do with the number of times it's boiled. I think it's also the kind used in many feeds. As far as using other types of molasses, I honestly don't know how safe/unsafe it is. You may be best able to find it in a health food store or health food section of a large grocery store.

Back