What do you use to hold hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthlyrose

I was originally using a Tupperware cup to hold Olives hay in. She continuously knocked it over, so I tied a different tray with holes in it, to her cage. But now she's using that as a second potty. Keep in mind that were working on finding a hay she likes, she doesn't seem very interested in it. What do you use to hold your hay? Do you think this problem will improve once we find a hay she likes? (Using oxbox, working on the different types of hay.)

I use wooden boxes with a hole in the front screwed to the side of the cage. Other people have used clay flower pots, fleece hay bags, or metal hay racks that hang outside the cage. Your really don't want to use plastic since the chin will most likely chew it. Check out this thread http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46191&highlight=holder for some pics of options.

My favorite hay holder is this critter bath.
pPETNA-5219309_main_t300x300.jpg

(I have the green one though)
I just compact the hay in by twisting it into the hole. I'll even put a couple apple or willow twigs going across the opening to keep it in there a bit better, and of course he also has fun pulling them out and eating those too. lol

Aside from that I've had the coconut hay holder, fleece bags and the carrot dish.

Thanks guys! I like the idea of a flower pot tied down, cuz I don't think she would be able to jump in that and pee. I appreciate the answers!

My favorite hay holder is this critter bath.

I used to use these!

Although I got the small one (apparently made for hamsters but I have no idea how a hamster would fit in there) and just shoved the hay in there so that it all stuck out. They ended up pulling the hay out though so I gave up.

What size one do you use?

I used to use these!

Although I got the small one (apparently made for hamsters but I have no idea how a hamster would fit in there) and just shoved the hay in there so that it all stuck out. They ended up pulling the hay out though so I gave up.

What size one do you use?

The small one also :)) but I twist it in tightly and I shove in willow sticks going across the opening. It keeps it from getting messy too fast, he eventually gets everything out though lol.

One of these:

$_35.JPG

It's safe, no risk of trapped limbs and it doubles as a chew toy. Their also pretty cheap at £3 (around $5).

Back