hay holders

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroxim

Hey just wondering what you guys use for hay holders. I've been using a glass dish but my chins keep peeing in it. Do you guys have that problem? Any way to stop them from peeing in the dish?

ive gone through quite a few things to use as hay holders.... the trial-and-error got frustrating and ridiculous! i think i have FINALLY settled on this one!

here is a link
http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/g...6-5219309/cat-36-catid-600007?_t=pfm=category
its a ceremic "small animal dust bath"... i'm sure youve all seen them in Petsmart, the little dust bowl with the ears on it? not sure what small dust (gerbils?) but it's PERFECT for stuffing full with hay. not as much falls on the floor (some still does though, as always) but it definitely feels like a cleaner way to me.

There are several options for hay holders, that are safe (several are not, like the metal bar ones). First if your chin doesn't chew fleece then a small hanging bag with an opening stuffed with hay works for several people.
s194145558185832923_p45_i1_w320.jpeg
I use a small wooden box that has a hole in the front
images
It's also open on the top so you can stuff hay in easier, and there are two bolts that hold it to the side of the cage, I just put it up high enough that they can get the hay but not sit on top and pee and poop in it. I also have a coconut hanging holder, I can't find a pic online of it but another one is this one
s194145558185832923_p179_i1_w320.jpeg
Other people use clay plant pots with mixed success, I would think a chin can still pee in it. The metal ones that hang on the outside of the cage could work too.
mhdHijwI8LY2sjV49nAwaGQ.jpg
Or that wooden hay manger racks work too.
pPETNA-5175099_main_t300x300.jpg

That's awesome! I have the critter bath too for a hay holder :) but it's the green one.
I also use the coconut hay holder pictured above, from Zoey and Lilo's Toybox. :)

I've tried a fleece hay holder, but my chinchilla hated it, and refused to take hay from it.:facepalm:

I actually have a small suet cage on a chain in Dessy's cage. She figured it out right away and as long as I keep it stocked she never seems to chew on the cage itself. It gives her a little bit of occupation when she's foraging and it's super easy to fill. You just have to make sure your chin either doesn't chew the cage or find one that isn't coated in pvc.

i recently had to separate my two boys. Only one could keep the hay dish. My chin without the hay dish stopped eating hay all together. After putting the hay back in the dish he started eating it again.

super-pet-veg-t-carrot-bowl.jpg

I had a bamboo plant that died then I decided to put the hay in the ceramic pot (they knock the pot over but holds the hay together nicley)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423777190690.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423777190690.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 35
Back