want to find a girlfriend for my baby boy chinchilla..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamii0726

I'm in Iowa city and i have a standard grey 6 month chinchilla boy.
Thinking about get him ag girlfriend lol..
does anybody have female chinchilla babies ?

Thanks for help!!

A girlfriend lol - what does that mean? That you are prepared for breeding? That you have done your research? That your male comes from a reputable breeder and that you have a pedigree for him? That you have an experienced vet in case you need a middle of the night C-section to save your female?

I'm not sure what's funny about putting a male and a female together. Male + female = babies.

I am going to respond since this is such a loaded question.

First off, do you want a girlfriend for your boy to have a second chinchilla or are you looking to make babies? Breeding should not be taken lightly. Also, putting a baby female chin with a 6 month old male is way too dangerous for the female.

If you want a friend for your male, a second male makes the most sense. Young males especially can get along if introduced properly, although there are no guarantees. Please think carefully about this.

Last edited:
You may think your chin wants a "girlfriend" but I have seen chins rip their "girlfriends" apart and severely injure, even kill them. Chinchillas can be very aggressive and are not little people in fur coats. They do not love like humans and you shouldn't personify them.

If you want to try to get your male a friend, you can try another male. However, even then they may not get along.

As I always tell people. If you do get a girl, get one old enough that pregnancy won't harm her. Understand they can't stay together-- separation is mandatory late pregnancy through weaning of kits. Have at least four cages including a small maternity cage.

And have at least $800 cash on hand. You will need it eventually.

I just spent $800 on a female who wouldn't go into labor. Then had two stillborns. Then had one more dead that wouldn't come when she was induced and ended up with a c-section. It happens a lot that an emergency takes place and treatment is not cheap. If you can find a vet even willing to do a c-section on a chin.

$800 and no babies. Just glad the mom survived.

I thought some of the postings on here were harsh/rude. Instead of prosecuting him, rather inform him. You do not know if he does not have a pedigree for his male. Also if he used the term "girlfriend" I don't see a problem with it.

Just my opinion.

I thought some of the postings on here were harsh/rude. Instead of prosecuting him, rather inform him. You do not know if he does not have a pedigree for his male. Also if he used the term "girlfriend" I don't see a problem with it.

Just my opinion.

First, please reread the one of the items you agreed to when you joined this forum:

Self-Policing
If you feel a thread is getting off topic, etc. please click the warn button (!) on the post or thread to bring it to the attention of a moderator. Only click the warn button once. Do not try to remedy the situation yourself. A moderator will review the thread and get it back on topic.

Secondly, in no way were any of these posts rude or inflammatory. "She" was just being given valid information and things to think about. The original post was somewhat vague and no responsible breeder would offer up a baby female to someone they didn't know under the circumstances posted above. More information is definitely needed.

Last edited:
First, please reread the one of the items you agreed to when you joined this forum:

Self-Policing
If you feel a thread is getting off topic, etc. please click the warn button (!) on the post or thread to bring it to the attention of a moderator. Only click the warn button once. Do not try to remedy the situation yourself. A moderator will review the thread and get it back on topic.

Secondly, in no way were any of these posts rude or inflammatory. "She" was just being given valid information and things to think about. The original post was somewhat vague and no responsible breeder would offer up a baby female to someone they didn't know under the circumstances posted above. More information is definitely needed.

I am a member of plenty of forums and even someone admitted to breeding a sugar glider without lineage. They were very respectful and went about it in a way to help the owner. I just feel that some of the postings were very rude towards the owner of the male chinchilla. I am entitled to my opinion and maybe people should be more respectful. :)

i do not see any rudeness in the above posts towards the OP. quite the opposite, i see members concerned with the welfare of chins, and being straightforward about the correct way to go about doing things like breeding.

i personally think anyone that uses the term 'girlfriend' when it comes to animals should not be breeding at all, and a male would be the only option if this person wants another chin.

Back to the topic at hand, a great "girlfriend" would be a fleece baby. I have many for my males and we call them their girl friends and no babies are made ;D

If you search the for sale options you can find many who sell cute fleece stuffed things for your chin to have a no worries friend.

Latest posts

Back