Introducing New chin question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyslilDimwit

Ok, So I've had Honey Bunny (My male) for 6 yrs. I've had Sweet Pea (female) for 2 yrs. They have had a couple litters, and they have been perfectly happy together.

I've recently gotten 2 more females that were in need of a home. I would love for them to live together.

Sweet Pea has met other females prior to these two with no problem. These two are a different story though. I had the cages next to each other for 1 week and all was well so I put them in a neutral cage and at first she ignored them, then she began to spray and went to attacking one and she actually got bit on her nose in the process, nothing bad, just a little trickle of blood.

They have been separated now and I'm thinking that the only difference this time is that she is currently pregnant. I'm thinking that I could just wait until after she had given birth and wean her kits, then try again.

Or should I try sooner?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do not try to intro them while she is pregnant or nursing kits. It is way too much stress for a pregnant mother. Since blood has been drawn, there is a good chance that they will never get along. You also stand a good chance of breaking up the per-existing pairs. You should not put the new girls in with your male in the first place. Rescues should never be bred. Do either of the male/female pair have pedigrees? Or do you know who their breeders were. If not, they should not be in breeding.

If you don't have pedigrees please don't breed the chins. There are sooo many genetic issues that you can't see by looking at the chins. Once blood is drawn on a intro I call it quits. Chins just don't always get along even if they have been caged with others before. I have seen chins kill eachother so please be aware it can happen. If your female is prego I would deffinetly wait to intro her to anyone. The stress is bad for her and the kits.

Yea, the woman that I got them from gave me the name of the breeder she got them from. I'll wait to try to introduce them again. I have been watching them when they have been together. I think it's more of a jealously issue more than anything.

Actually, it is an issue of defending her unborn kits. I would still stop breeding them unless you were given something that came from the breeder, such as a cage card or pedigree or have a way to contact the breeder and get that information.

Well, good news, All 4 chins have been in together all day (with supervision) and they have been doing great. I am still keeping them separate when I can't be around, and i'm being hyper vigilant when I am here. And I was also under the assumption that her attitude came from being pregnant. I knew my persistence would prevail.

She said the breeder was in Cali... Something like "valley" and had another name in it, maybe a mans name?
If I heard it again I think I would remember.
If anyone knows of this breeder I would love to get the info so I could get in contact.

If you do not have a pedigree in hand the chinchilla should not be bred. There are reasons certain chins are sold as pets. If it wasn't sold with a pedigree odds are the breeder (reguardless of who it is) thought it was of pet quality. There is no way of knowing what beige or standard female that you have even if you do find the breeder. I only have 7 chins in breeding and have multible chinsof the same color born. So unless you have specific information about the chin, you won't be able to get a pedigree.

Back