Poor Betty, the Friendless, Bald Hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annieo

Loving Pet Owner
I saw this story and my heart went out to Betty, who has no friends and is bald.

I've decided to make some of my standing fleece chinchilla buddies and send them along to her so she can have some new friends. Someone I know has been kind enough to donate the shipping costs for the care package. :)

If you'd like to send along a picture of your hedgie and a friendship note to Betty, please send it to me via email to [email protected] or PM me here and I will add it to her box. I will print it out.

If you could have this to me by Sunday, 6/5, that would be ideal. Just a cute pic and note.

Annie

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/864817-bald-hedgehog-without-spines-has-no-friends

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Betty! I don't have a hedgie, but if you could add my well wishes to her, that would be great. I would be her friend, poor little nekkid gal!

Did anyone else notice that the second article says they put almond and tea tree oil on her?! Are European hedgehogs not harmed by tea tree oil as African pygmy hedgies are?

I first heard about her through Tumblr. She seems like a sweetheart!

ETA: I sent my contribution to her care package! What a great idea!

Last edited:
Tea tree oil shows up in a lot of literature that comes from UK hedgehog rescues. I have a book from the Welsh Hedgehog Hospital and tea tree oil is recommended, as are other homeopathic and natural remedies they used in their hospital.

I'm going to guess that tea tree oil doesn't have the same impact on them as it does our Africans. Early on there was recommendation to use tea tree oil for our pets because it was used in the Europeans with success. We took advice for how to treat these guys based on what rehabbers were doing. And it was used on some Africans without problems. I used it, but that was back during the early years in hedgehog ownership, and we experienced no negative problems with it. However, we have since seen many Africans react negatively to it, and like many other things we don't recommend it anymore...

Definitely send me some pics for her care package! I plan on getting the box out Monday or Tuesday so I'll be printing all the notes and pics on Monday.

Everyone pics will just be a little bonus to go with her chinny buddies and a snuggle sack I'm making.

She looks like she needs some friends :)

Annie

Thank you! I couldn't resist the opportunity to send something sweet to her. =D

Kalandra, I see! I haven't done much reading on the care of European hedgehogs, obviously. :) I feel much better knowing that tea tree oil is safe for them. I was scared there for a bit.

I don't know that it is completely safe for them, I just know that I see them mention using it all the time, and would have to assume they are not seeing the deaths that we saw. Honestly I would think by now they would use a different medicine. There are plenty of anti-fungals out there that are safer to use.

I do know that a couple of hedgehog people have contacted the rescue who is caring for her and have warned about what we have seen in Africans. Maybe its time for the european rescues to learn from the african pet rescuers :)

If I made it sound like I approved, I apologize. Spent the day yesterday in the vet's office with a hedgehog that was bleeding from his inner ear. Was a bit tired when I wrote the original reply.

Here is an email that was sent to Standing Bear of the Flash & Thelma Rescue regarding Betty

Hi
Thanks for your email and concerns. As usual the information in the news papers was not entirely correct. Betty is occasionally when required given a light oiling of her skin using sweet almond oil. I think the misunderstanding with the reporter is we mentioned tea tree oil as in using a few drops in a carrier oil such as almond oil being used on hedgehogs by certain rescue centres in previous years which was used for treating ring worm.
We have never used Tea tree oil on Betty because as you rightly say it has been discovered that it is toxic to hedgehogs. Betty is a perfectly healthy hedgehog in every way other than her lack of spikes.
We have experienced substandard reporting in the past but when its in print its the first time we get to see the article and its too late to correct the information.
Best wishes John and Tonia
Foxy Lodge Wildlife Centre

Looks like that tea tree oil is dangerous to europeans too. Not surprising, our little ones are not that different, just smaller. Wonder if those that are using it for ringworm don't see deaths or if they just contribute any deaths to some other cause..... hmmm.

That's what I thought initially - that they aren't really all that different, thus the concern. Good to know that is a misprint, in Betty's case.

Good point. They very well might be contributing the deaths to another cause... Looks like we need to get the word out that tea tree oil shouldn't be used on either species of hedgie! =]

I just read the thread about your little one's ear problems. I'm so sorry and I hope this truly is the hump you guys needed to climb to start getting him well again. <3

Someone should totally make a fleece coat for Betty, lined with a smooth fabric as to not irritate her sensitive skin. This way she's warm in the cold weather!!

Hello again. I inquired about Betty the Hedgehog recently to see how she was doing and if the rescue she belongs to needs anything.

Here is the reply:

"Hi Annie
Nice to hear from you, hope all is good yes we would make great use of snuggle sacks for our baby hedgehogs thank you so much for your very kind offer.
We currently have 36 baby hoglets in which will be over wintered with us, they are still arriving on a daily basis several at a time so our nursery is getting very full.
Best wishes Tonia and John
Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue"

I am more than willing to make the snuggle sacks for free.

If anyone is willing to donate a dollar or two for shipping, that would be great. If you have a dollar to spare, please paypal it to me as a "gift" to [email protected].

I'll keep you posted on the hedgie's progress as I'm sure they will send pics of the cuties.

Thank you everyone that donated. We have enough for shipping to England so thank you VERY much!!!

There is no need for any further donations. Hooray!!!

That was fast! I am so happy everyone was so generous but wish I could have helped donate.

You are such a kind person Annieo to give this way. :hug2:

Annie, I have some fabric with a hedgie print that could be used for the outside of the bag if you want it.

Thank you Megan! I was a little surprised we got enough so fast. We have some very generous peeps on this board.

Thanks Meanie, I would love to take you up on the hedgie print. It sounds adorable. I'll text you. Thank you!

That's awesome that everyone stepped in so quick! I wish I saw this thread yesterday.

Annie--so did they mention how Betty is? I'm curious about the little beanhog ;)

Latest posts

Back