Crazy Apollo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chin has issues that are not funny. It looks like what he is displaying is a repetitive stress type behaviour or a neurologoical issue.

Last edited:
he is totally fine, he hasn't done that anymore actually, and he did that only a few times, and he has always acted normal and eaten normal and has never been sick or anything, I thought that it had something to do with the cage not being big enough for him, but he is in a bigger cage now, a little taller, and he hasn't done that in quite a long time, I never thought it could be something neurological because after that he would eat and act normal like always.

oh, ok, sorry, I never thought that it could not be a normal behavior as he is not seizing or anything like that, he seemed to me as he was playing or looking at the top of the cage to see if he could find like a bigger space around, or he was trying to get my attention to take him out or anything, as after that he has never acted sick or anything, he just looked the same way as my other chins,

if you want, I can shoot another video of him playing around and show you guys, and let me know if you find if he acts normal or not when he is running.

I can also see if I can get him checked by the vet to make sure he is alright, even though I think he is, but he is not sick really, it would be more for a check up I guess, I will also ask the person I bought it from if he used to do that before or not, to get more info on the issue.

if you were planning on using him in breeding, i would definitely look into that a little further. without some type of neurological testing i dont think just a regular check up visit to a vet is going to do much.

yeah, I figured that I probably would need to do some testing to really know if he has some neurological issues, because if the vet sees him, and he just looks normal, then there would be no point.
I will ask the Sudbury vet to see if they can run those tests for him, (I hope they do) at least he is not sick that he needs it in emergency, but will ask for him for sure.

Has anybody really ever had a chin doing that? to really have some reference on what happened to that chin or have some more info? it would be nice to know more :)

Well, he is a white..

I have a pink white male that I bought from a large rancher and he did the same thing when I got him home(maybe not as extreme). He would look up, fall backwards, run back and forth, fall off of the ledges (if he managed to get on them). I assumed it was because he came from a place with smaller cages and moved him into a small cage with one ledge about 3" off the ground. Now 2 years later he doesn't do that anymore, he can even run on a flying saucer. He's also had two litters and both are completely normal so far. I'd love more input as well..

If the condition went away in both cases then it was more than likely a repetitive stress type behaviour.

oh, I see, thanks for letting me know. I thought it was probably the kind of reaction that he has when placed in a smaller cage, sort of like the same as when you put a chin in a different cage and they start like exploring the cage and jumping around and everything, just that in this case, maybe he felt that the cage was too small for him and started going like that.

I have placed him in a bigger cage and he has stopped and hasn't done that in quite a while, so maybe he needed some time to settle or something.

If the condition went away in both cases then it was more than likely a repetitive stress type behaviour.

I haven't had a chin do that exact behavior but I had a female that I got out of the paper. She was quarantined and fine.. As soon as she was in the same room as the other chins? She swayed. She'd sit and sway back and forth.. So I moved her back out of the room and it got worse.. Finally paired her with another female and it stopped. Like.. Instantly. She never swayed again.

I always figured it was like a stress/nervous tick but hadn't seen another chin display that type of behavior before either...

I had a pink white male that did that when i first brought him home. He came from a bad situation. It stopped after a month.. im assuming it was his reaction to the stress of switching homes

Back