Sexing kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

ok.. so im not entirly sure if my initial asusmption of my last two kits being born males is accurate anymore.

Iv looked through diffrent sexing pages, and photographs. But im still uncertin. Expecaly since these kits do not want to be held or stay still for a check. Its impossilbe to get a good look at em. Any way to ease them some so i can get a look?

the easiest way to sex a kit is to place it on you lap or a table and gently grab the base of the tail and lift up until the back feet no longer touch the table. This takes just a few seconds and gives you the best view and it does not hurt them. You can also take a picture while you're holding them this way and post it. That way we can help you out if you are still unsure.

eh, i tried jsut a bit ago, but to no avail. My old camera aint the best, and is rly bad with close ups. You wouldnt even be able to tell it was a chinchilla'

No one can tell you the gender of the kits without a picture of the genitalia. There is a sexing thread in the breeding FAQ's that has a clear picture of male and female kit genitalia as seen from behind, like Cuddlebug described. If you compare to those pictures, you should be able to tell the gender of your kits.

yea, you would think. But unfortionitly i couldnt get a clear view. My eyesight aint the best either, and this whole apartment has realy bad lighting. Ill see if i can find someone with a better camera or something.

Lets see if these pictures will work. My brother came over today and took some with his phone. The kits very very uncooperative tho, so it was hard. Ill post the two kits seperately. The second one expecaly is unclear. But at this moment, its all i have.

My Grey Kit
GreyKit.jpg

The standard looks female to me. I can't tell with the beige. You are not holding them correctly. As stated earlier in this thread, you need to hold them by the base of the tail and gently lift, like so:
properhold.jpg

The area you want to focus on is here:
properhold2.jpg

Holding them this way does two things. 1) It won't matter how uncooperative they are, they cannot get away from you or even really squirm all that much in this position, giving you the chance for a good look. 2) It stretches the genitals so that if it is male, the space between the penis and anus is very clear; and if it is female, the slit on the cone is clear. Holding them any other way, the penis can lay against the anus making you think you have a female when you don't (as I think is happening with the beige kit, but not sure).

Here is a female kit:
femalekit.jpg

This photo came out blurry, but shows the slit on the female's cone:
femaleslit.jpg

And here is a male kit, with a very obvious gap between his penis and anus:
malekit.jpg

Last edited:
actuly i did try holding them by the tail as described first. It didnt go well. They had jsut woken up, but it was the only time i could do it, since it was my brothers phone cam, and he lives else where. Also his phone was jsut about to die, so i had to be quick about it.
Their not to crazy about being held either. All combined they were not in the mood for this. I do feel bad about it. But it would be worse for them to be sexed rong and living with family members of the opposite sex.

The standard is a female. The beige also looks female to me, but I would need to see a better picture where the cone/sheath is not blocking the gap/vagina.

The mood of the kits should not matter if you are holding them by the tail. This is the safest and easiest way to get pictures so you must not have been doing it correctly.

they associate hands in the cage with being picked up, irragaurdless of what your intending to do. So they try to run away immidily if you try to lift them from the back side. And their bodies so smooth its hard to get any kind of grip on them.

I second what Tabitha said. Standard definately a female. I too suspect the beige is as well but it's not a great picture.

Just get in there and grab them. Don't be afraid-once they know you are timid about picking them up they are going to give you a hard time.

Jessica

yea, the second pic didnt turn out. But my brother and his cam were gone before i was able to check. Ill see if i can get him back over soem time soon to take another. Which im sure my chin will love.

Tho having one/two of those kits female would help solve a problem or to. Since their mommy chiny is currently living by herself, and shes very lonly. Just need to make sure before even considering attempting a reintroduction

The standard is FOR SURE a female, so she can go back in with the mother. How old are the babies? If they were only weaned a few weeks ago you shouldn't have to worry about introductions. Mother's don't instantly forget the smell and calls of their babies.

the two kits were born feb 7th. they were seperated around 7 or so weeks after birth. Had a slight delay in the inital seperation of them form the mom. So theyve only been away from her around a month or so. Tho it seems like longer'

That is not too long of them being separated. Three months is a little long, but one month is not long at all.

Ok, i tried to get some more pics of the biege kit. Took a ton of them, but none realy turned out well. One one was actuly able to see anything. Some reason nothing turned out well. Might have been the poor lighting, somehting rong with his phone, or the uncooperative kit. Or maybe all of it'. But im hoping this one will help.

This was the old image i posted before.
IMAG0629.jpg

This is the one i jsut got.
IMAG0704.jpg

They are both females. They could go back in with the mom and stay with her...no worries about them getting mom pregnant. ;)

Back