Vitamin & Minerals Composition?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

On my quest to find the perfect feed, considering the factors (in descending order) quality/nutrition, preference to taste, price and local availability, I'm realizing a lot of feeds have different vitamin and mineral amounts. Oxbow has like twice the amount of vitamin A than any other popular feed and I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing.

What is an ideal compostion for these vitamins and minerals?

I doubt the perfect chinchilla feed exists! As I understand you're interested in synthetic vitamin, mineral requirements. Please keep in mind that they are not as bioavailable as nutrients from plant sources. Organic/plant sources contain the intrinsic vitamin and mineral complexes, plants bond nutrient molecules to phytochemicals, amino acids, lipids. Synthetic vitamins and minerals are isolated components.
Pellets are actually designed to be supplemental. They contain lots of chemically synthesized nutrients due to inadequate ingredients (cheaper to make).

When choosing feeds with synthetic nutrients in mind, excess rather than a deficiency is more likely to be a problem. Not enough studies have been done to determine long term potential side effects, some potential toxicity issues are known.

Vitamin A requirements are about 6,000 - 10,000 UI/KG.
Tradition - 6,000 IU/KG
Nutrena nature wise 16% - 6,000 IU/KG
APD - 8,000 IU/KG
OXBOW 20,000 IU/KG
Mazuri 35,200 IU/KG

I know for rabbits the NRC recommends no more than 16,000. Liver becomes overloaded when excessive amounts are supplied. Unfortunately Oxbow can not explain why they decided to go with 20,000.

Selenium is an interesting element. It's recommended to add 0.05 ppm, although some feeds were used with no supplemental selenium and without any negative evidence. Most chinchilla feeds contain 0.2 - 0.3 ppm. Excess synthetic selenium predisposes to malocclusion. If you'd like to know how much selenium Oxbow has, please let me know. I should get results next week.

I noticed urine discoloration when chins consume mostly pellets or lots of pellets (body tries to eliminate synthetic nutrients). I know that the excretion of plant pigments can change urine color too, but I think in reality it does not happen that often. Maybe not all chins are effected by this and it probably depends on what else is consumed. I guess it's like with people, beeturia occurs in only about 12% - 14% of the population. And if it happens to you, you'll notice that it does not happen all the time, as it also depends on what else you ate and when you ate (acidity of the stomach). When I offer non-organic hays, I see urine discoloration more often, most likely because of the chemicals used (some fertilizes can cause urine discoloration too).

Chinchilla diet in the wild is diverse, they eat lots of herbaceous plants to get all the nutrients they need. Here are some plants they consume (with pictures :D):

puya berteroniana

bridgesia incisifolia

pasto rey

pingo-pingo

oxalis carnosa

glandularia sulphurea,

moscharia pinnatifida

adiantum chilense

heliotropium stenophyllum

lobelia polyphylla

proustia cuneifolia

porlieria chilensis

lycium chilense

adesmia microphylla

astephanus geminiflorus

Chins in Las Chinchillas National Reservation especially enjoy Berberis glomerata (blue berries)!

I try to offer a diverse diet: 12+ types/brands of hay (most of them are organic), apple wood and organic herbal supplement daily. I also mix blossoms, oat tops, roots, vita C (rose hips, hawthorn berries, hibiscus) with hay, my chins get a small amount of pellets.

If you're interested in some particular minerals/vitamins, please let us know. Hopefully someone else will reply too.

Last edited:
Wow that was an awesome reply. I had no idea the diversity of plants that wild chins eat, I looked through them all--some look spikey, some flowery and one of them is so pretty I want a pot of it growing in my room (g. sulphurea)!!

I guess I wanted to know if there was a tested ideal composition for pellet food. Synethetic or natural, either way wouldn't matter as long as it acted the same. I would love to give my chin a variety of foods to meet her nutritional needs, I just don't know if I could get all those things. And pellets are convenient in this way, also in the fact that I wouldn't have to worry about getting fresh plants and having multiple kinds of food to mess around with.

Why would Mazuri and Oxbow have such high amounts of vitamin A? It doesn't make sense to me. Vitamin overdose can lead to discolored urine, I wonder if that is one reason why your chins experienced that.

I just want to find out what is the best food for my Chloe. It freaks me out that it's so hard to!!

Thank you for your reply, Tanya. I think I'm going to try to look more into what domesticated chins need nutritionally, it seems there is not a lot of specific information. You'd think since chins are popular research animals, there would be lots of care and maintenance info. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places oh well.

Latest posts

Back